No. 7 Terps make amends, stop Navy, 6-5

LaChapelle's goal caps week of special focus

April 11, 1999|By Mark Hoeflich | Mark Hoeflich,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Maryland Terrapins knew there was work to be done after an embarrassing nine-goal loss at Virginia last week.

So, Terps players challenged each other and talk of perseverance dominated the harder practices leading up to yesterday's game against No. 8 Navy. And seventh-ranked Maryland (7-2) proved ready for the task, getting a goal from Marcus LaChapelle with 1: 27 left to defeat the Midshipmen, 6-5, at Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis.

Maryland -- up 46-33-1 in the series that started in 1924 -- won for the seventh straight time over Navy, which hasn't beaten the Terps on its home field since 1985.

Along the way, the Terps also received a much-needed effort from freshman Nate Watkins, whose two goals provided a big lift to a banged-up midfield that played without starter Erik Osberg (sprained ankle).

"There's no way we could have lost this game," said Watkins. "If I'm going to do something for this team, as soon as I get in there, I'm going to do it."

In his three years as a starter for Navy (5-4), goalkeeper Mickey Jarboe has been known to win a few games by himself. But yesterday he played a large part in losing one.

With the game tied at 5 and less than 3 1/2 minutes to play, Jarboe came out of the goal on an attempted clear and lost the ball after getting hit by the Terps' Andrew Combs. Combs then picked up the loose ball and fed an unmarked LaChapelle for the game-winner.

"I saw him [Jarboe] come out and face dodge Scott [Hochstadt]," said Combs, who played with Jarboe at Calvert Hall for three years. "I just stepped aside a little bit and was lucky to get a shot at him."

Said Jarboe: "I got the ball in the crease and I was looking upfield right away but I didn't see anybody I could get the ball to. I knew someone was trailing me so I tried to dodge him but Combs put a good check on me."

Until then, Jarboe was a big reason Navy's defense shut down Maryland. The Midshipmen forced the Terps to work farther out on the perimeter and when the Terps did get open shots, Jarboe (17 saves) was there with several superb stick saves.

Navy's offense never broke through despite dictating play and holding a two-goal lead early in the third quarter.

However, 1: 06 was all Maryland needed to change the balance of the game. Trailing 3-1 late in the third, consecutive goals by Brian Zeller and Brian Haggerty tied the game at 3 before Watkins converted to give the Terps a 4-3 lead entering the final period.

"I thought we put a lot of pressure on them at the beginning of the third quarter and had we been able to pop one or two more in, that would have taken some wind out of their sails," said Navy coach Richie Meade.

Adam Borcz's left-handed shot forced the game's third tie (4-4) and Kevin Meehan's unassisted goal put Navy back in front, 5-4, with 5: 21 left.

But the Midshipmen lost possession when Chris Roesgen stepped out of bounds and Maryland responded with Watkins using his quickness to first beat defender Drew Ball and then Jarboe with a low shot.

"Our young guys got a little older today," said Maryland coach Dick Edell. "I really appreciate the attitude of the kids. They just try and find a way to win: whoever it takes or whatever it takes."

Maryland 1 0 3 2 -- 6

Navy 1 1 1 2 -- 5

Goals: M--Watkins 2, LaChapelle, Zeller, Combs, Haggerty; N--McKinnon 3, A.Borcz, Meehan. Assists: M--Malone, Combs; N--Reppert 2, A.Borcz. Saves: M--Healy 12; N--Jarboe 17.

Pub Date: 4/11/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.