No. 3 Gilman shuts door on No. 2 St. Paul's

Greyhounds' D makes late stand in 12-8 win

Boys lacrosse

April 10, 1999|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Momentum can often make all the difference.

For the final 12 minutes yesterday against host No. 2-ranked St. Paul's, No. 3 Gilman not only had the momentum, they held it for ransom.

Leading by one late in the third quarter, the Greyhounds clamped down on defense and cranked up the offense to score four of the next five goals and pull away to a 12-8 win in a pivotal early-season Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference game.

Midfielder Kevin Boland scored a game-high four goals to go along with three from teammate Andrew Lucas, as Gilman (6-1, 3-1 league) outshot St. Paul's, 38-29, including 33-21 through the first three quarters.

"We played really well," said Boland. "I got a lot of shots on the crease, and I was just able to find the open spots in the goal. I had a few garbage goals. We came off some really hard practices, and our defense came through at the end."

Said Gilman coach David Allan: "The one big key was the fact that our defense, after a shaky start, stepped it up."

Led by Damien Davis, Lawson Grumbine and Dave Taler, the Greyhounds gradually increased the pressure on the Crusaders' offense, holding them without a goal for 14: 40 in the first half, and later, to one goal during a stretch of 9: 47 in the second. The Crusaders (7-2, 1-2), losers of two straight, didn't help their cause, failing to capitalize on prime scoring chances.

"We didn't have any transition game, and we gave up two or three garbage goals after rebounds inside," said St. Paul's coach Rick Brocato. "Then we didn't cash in on our shots. We had a lot of opportunities, and if we had cashed in on a few of them, it would've been a one-goal game."

St. Paul's kept it close for much of the way, tying the game at 3 on Conor Ford's goal off an assist from Doug Mueller with 8: 15 to play before halftime. After Gilman built its lead back to three, the Crusaders again came back, cutting the lead to 7-6 on Ford's solo effort in the final minute of the first half.

After that, however, it was all Gilman.

The Greyhounds took momentum into halftime after Andrew Lucas scored with three seconds left before the break. Gilman opened the second half with three scores in the first three minutes to extend the lead to 10-6.

That stretch's key play came from defenseman Davis, who won a loose ball near one sideline at midfield and made a no-look, 35-yard toss toward St. Paul's goal, which teammate Ryan Boyle caught and fed Boland for an easy goal 55 seconds into the quarter.

For Gilman, the win was a confidence builder heading into the heart of its conference schedule.

For St. Paul's, which lost 16-10 to No. 1 St. Mary's on Tuesday, the short-term goal is to get the season back on track.

Brocato said not panicking will be the key.

"You just have to refocus and take one game at a time," said Brocato. "You really can't dwell on it. It's like the ACC in basketball -- if you start getting down on yourself and not looking forward to the next team, then you're going to be in trouble. Every team in this league is good, so we just have to work hard in practice and learn from our mistakes."

Pub Date: 4/10/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.