Patient Bryn Mawr gets past Saints, 8-6

But St. Mary's coach sees improvement despite team's 4th straight loss

April 07, 1999|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Third-ranked Bryn Mawr's 8-6 win over St. Mary's yesterday also turned out to be a victory of sorts for the No. 7 Saints.

The Saints recovered from a disastrous performance Saturday at the Mount Hebron Tournament to challenge the Mawrtians right to the end.

Although the Saints (5-5) lost their fourth straight game, coach Erika Bristow said yesterday appeared to be a turning point.

"The past two games, we had come apart," said Bristow, whose team lost 12-8 to St. Stephen's/St. Agnes (Va.) and then blew a 7-0 lead to lose 13-10 to West Chester Henderson (Pa.) Saturday.

"Now, we've come back together," said Bristow. "We played strong and as a team. I can't say anything bad about this game."

The Saints had to play well to stay this close to the host Mawrtians (4-1) in the Association of Independent Schools A Division non-league game.

"In many ways, I felt they controlled the game," said Mawrtians coach Wendy Kridel. "Time of possession -- they had the ball far more than we did. It's a tribute to our patience and knowing, when we had the ball, to do what we needed to do."

St. Mary's took a 3-2 lead on the first of three goals by Kelly Coppedge, but the Mawrtians answered with two from Tara Hardiman in the first half's final 3 1/2 minutes. After that, Bryn Mawr never trailed.

The Saints defense, led by Courtney Thorton and Kate Hardesty, shut off the Mawrtians' transition much of the game, so the Mawrtians countered with a patient, set offense. Five of their goals were assisted -- two by Tricia Martin, who also scored three goals during the game.

After Hardesty tied the score on a feed from Courtney Kearns early in the second half, the Mawrtians countered with two goals by Martin, the first on a feed from Hardiman behind the goal, the second off Meredith Goodell's feed from the left side.

Theresa Sherry then hit Goodell for one of only two Mawrtian transition goals and a 7-4 lead with 8: 13 left.

"Most of the time, we couldn't get anything on transition," said Hardiman, who finished with three goals. "That forced us to settle it down and work our plays, focus on hitting the open cutter."

Coppedge brought the Saints within 7-5 with 7: 45 left. But Hardiman recovered the rebound off her own free-position shot and quickly slipped another shot low past goalie Nicole Kallis to boost the lead back to three.

A minute later, Kearns found Coppedge open on the crease for a goal that pulled St. Mary's back within two, 8-6.

Despite three turnovers in the last 1: 17, the Mawrtians managed to hold that lead.

Pub Date: 4/07/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.