George William Fish, 64, printing research directorGeorge...

April 05, 1999

George William Fish, 64, printing research director

George William Fish, director of printing research for Cadmus Journal Services, died Friday of leukemia at his home in Easton. He was 64.

He joined Waverly Press, which is now Cadmus, in Easton in 1967 and became director of printing research in 1988. Earlier, he had worked in Baltimore for National Brewing Co. and Harbison-Walker Co.

The native of Salisbury, N.C., graduated from Lexington (N.C.) High School in 1953 and served in the Army from 1954 to 1956. He earned a bachelor of science degree in industrial engineering from North Carolina State University in 1962.

He was a member of SS. Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church, Goldsboro and Aurora streets, Easton, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow.

He is survived by his wife of 34 years, the former Barbara Piersante; two daughters, Judith S. Fish of Baltimore and Claudia N. Daniel of Columbia; a son, David M. Fish of Frederick; three sisters, Frances F. Busby of Charlotte, N.C., Margaret F. Yuhas of South Bend, Ind., and Barbara F. Swift of Arlington Heights, Ill.; two brothers, John R. Fish of Colorado Springs, Colo., and Michael H. Fish of South Bend; and two granddaughters.

Anne Foot Palechek, 64, Valley Travel consultant

Anne Foot Palechek, a longtime consultant with Valley Travel in Baltimore, died Friday of liver failure at a care facility in Olney. She was 64.

Since 1960, the Olney resident had worked for Valley Travel as a holiday planning consultant, most recently arranging trips for senior citizens.

The Baltimore native moved with her family to Ohio as a child. She received a bachelor of arts degree in English from Denison University in Granville, Ohio, in 1956.

Mrs. Palechek was a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority and was active with the Daughters of the American Revolution.

She enjoyed fishing and traveling with her husband of 40 years, Jack Palechek, who survives her.

A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Henry W. Jenkins & Sons, 4905 York Road.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by a sister-in-law, Polly A. Zimmerman of Olney; two nephews and two nieces.

H. Levi Naylor, 70, Balto. County firefighter

H. Levi Naylor, a longtime Baltimore County firefighter, died of a thoracic aneurysm Friday at St. Joseph Medical Center in Towson. The Hereford resident was 70.

Mr. Naylor, a Butler native, was with the Fire Department for 35 years. He retired in 1990 as battalion chief of Battalion One, Station 17 in Texas.

The Army veteran was a member of Charity Lodge No. 134, the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and American Legion Post No. 256 in Parkton, and a life member of the Hereford Volunteer Fire Company.

Memorial services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at J. J. Hartenstein Mortuary, 24 Second St., New Freedom, Pa.

He is survived by his wife of 48 years, the former M. Anne Miller; a daughter, Lisa Naylor of Freeland; a sister, Mary Getz of Maryland Line; and several nieces and nephews.

C. Albert Matthews, 89, ran family business

C. Albert Matthews, who ran a 77-year-old family sheet metal and plumbing business in Easton, died Wednesday of respiratory failure at Memorial Hospital at Easton. He was 89.

The Easton native graduated from Easton High School in 1928 and took courses in mechanics from the International Correspondence School before joining the family business as an apprentice.

After his father retired in 1933, he took over C. Albert Matthews Inc. A registered master plumber, he developed the first plumbing code in Talbot County.

He was a member of the Easton Utilities Commission from 1946 to 1954, seven years as president, and served on the board of Memorial Hospital from 1975 to 1981.

He was a 50-year member of the Easton Rotary Club and a 60-year Mason, who belonged to Coats Lodge 102 in Easton, which he served as master in 1942.

Other memberships included the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Shriners-Boumi Temple, a charter member of the Dr. John Coats Memorial Lodge 1787 and the Miller Lodge 18 Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

He was a member of Trinity Methodist Church in Easton, where he served as board member and treasurer. In 1952, he was involved with the merger of three local Methodist churches to form St. Mark's United Methodist Church, 100 Peach Blossom Road, Easton, where services will be held at 1 p.m. today.

He is survived by his wife of 65 years, the former D. Mildred Cheezum; two daughters, Sara Crowder and Helen Pritchett, both of Easton; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Pub Date: 4/05/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.