Offensive drought costs Vikings in Case tourney

Mt. Hebron is defeated by Broadneck, C.M. Wright

Boys lacrosse

April 04, 1999|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Mount Hebron had a day it would like to forget at the Gerry Case Memorial Lacrosse Tournament at Broadneck yesterday.

Minus one of its stars -- midfielder Matt Midura is out because of a deep thigh bruise suffered two days ago during practice -- the Vikings' offense came up short in a 7-3 opening-round loss to No. 11-ranked Broadneck and again in a 6-5 consolation-round loss to unranked C. Milton Wright.

"Other than our close defense that played great and Tim Yendall, who did a good job on faceoffs, there's not much positive to say," Mount Hebron coach Jeff Doolan said. "It was the worst day of offense I've ever seen at Mount Hebron. Against Broadneck, we couldn't finish, and against C. Milton Wright we couldn't catch, dodge anything. Midura being out hurt us. It took our best player off the field."

Doolan expressed apprehension about his team having to play McDonogh next Saturday, also without Midura.

The No. 13 Vikings (1-2) did mount a comeback against C. Milton Wright (4-2) after falling behind 5-2 with 2: 20 left in the third period.

Neal Goldman scored the first of his two goals with 48 seconds left in that period off an assist from Adam Cummins.

But the Vikings gave up what proved to be the game-winning goal to Scott Jankowiak, his third goal, with seven seconds left in the quarter.

Jeff Wunk cut the Mustangs' lead to 6-4 with a goal off a loose ball in front of the crease 1: 40 into the fourth period.

And when Goldman scored again off Wunk's assist 2: 22 into the period, the Vikings appeared to have something going.

But the offense stalled again, its best chance coming with 20 seconds left when Goldman's man-up shot in close was saved by Mustangs goalkeeper Garrison Souder. It was his 12th save.

"Our goalkeeper and close defense played well," C. Milton Wright coach Andrew Gerard said. "We inverted our midfield on a couple of the goals, and we alternated between man-to-man defense and zone and they had trouble picking it up. Our zone helped a good bit."

The victory relieved a lot of frustration for the Mustangs. "We've been coming to this tournament for four years and this was our first win," Gerard said.

That fact only added to Mount Hebron's frustration.

"Defensively we adjusted pretty well," said Kyle Chacon, the Vikings' leading defender. "We couldn't get settled on offense. Maybe it was our off-ball movement. It just seemed like we had the jitters today. I know we have three great attackmen that can take their man."

Pub Date: 4/04/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.