3 firefighters treated after inhaling fumes

February 07, 1999|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

Three Anne Arundel firefighters were treated at hospitals last night after inhaling chlorine fumes at a house fire in Odenton.

County fire officials said the source of the chlorine was swimming pool chemicals stored on the lower level of the split-foyer, duplex home in the 600 block of Chapelgate Drive.

The firefighters were receiving precautionary checkups after complaining of irritation of the eyes and nose -- two of them at North Arundel Hospital and the other at Anne Arundel General Hospital. They were not identified by name.

The fire, reported about 7 p.m., resulted from combustible material being stored too close to a hot-water heater, the fire department reported.

Damage to the home and its contents was estimated at $85,000. Smoke damaged a neighboring home, a fire spokesman said.

Pub Date: 2/07/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.