More smoke than flame in hotel blaze

Customers evacuated from inn uninjured

sprinklers douse fire

January 07, 1999|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A fire in a laundry room of the historic Governor Calvert House inn on State Circle in Annapolis forced the evacuation last night of more than a dozen customers, but caused no injuries and only slight damage.

A dryer in the laundry room on the upper level of the parking garage of the mansion across the street from the State House caught fire at about 6: 25 p.m., triggering sprinklers that kept the flames from spreading, said Capt. Leonard Clark of the Annapolis Fire Department.

All the diners at a banquet and several residents in the hotel's 18 occupied rooms escaped safely when they heard smoke detectors, according to fire officials and hotel management.

State Circle was closed for more than an hour as five fire engines and more than 20 firefighters checked out the smoky drier. There was some water damage to the laundry room, but no smoke or water damage to the rest of the historic building, Clark said.

The inn's customers and residents were expected to have returned last night.

The Governor Calvert House was originally the home of the wife of Maryland's second provincial governor. The building was restored and added to in 1983 by developer Paul M. Pearson, who had the original bricks in the facade removed and restored.

Pub Date: 1/07/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.