Ohio reservist in school at APG dies Meningococcus blamed in Dec. 9 blood poisoning

December 16, 1998|By Lisa Respers | Lisa Respers,SUN STAFF

A memorial service was held yesterday at Aberdeen Proving Ground for a reservist who died of blood poisoning caused by the bacteria responsible for meningitis, Army officials said.

Pvt. Nana A. Sardin, 18, of Cleveland died Dec. 9 of meningococcal septicemia.

Sardin was a reservist with the Ohio National Guard and a student at the Ordnance Center and School, officials said.

Ed Starnes, a spokesman for the school, said Sardin developed flulike symptoms last week during class.

"She was first taken to [a hospital on base] and after dinner she complained of vomiting," Starnes said yesterday. "She was taken to Harford Memorial Hospital and admitted, and she died there."

Starnes said at least 75 students and personnel at the base had been treated with oral antibiotics as a precaution. Health officials said the bacteria can be transmitted much like the common cold, through mouth and nose secretions.

Sardin, who arrived at the base Nov. 8 after completing basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C., was studying how to repair utility equipment. She was scheduled to graduate in February.

Because she was new at the base, Starnes said, Sardin had not been granted leave privileges, which would have allowed her to be off post during her spare time.

State health officials said Sardin's death brings the total meningococcal deaths in the state to seven this year, of a total 34 cases confirmed.

Pub Date: 12/16/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.