Annapolis man enters guilty plea in sexual abuse of his daughter Sentencing set Feb. 26

other charges dropped

December 09, 1998|By Andrea F. Siegel | Andrea F. Siegel,SUN STAFF

An Annapolis father entered a guilty plea yesterday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court to sexually abusing his daughter.

The 54-year-old man entered an Alford plea -- not admitting guilt, but conceding prosecutors had enough evidence to convict him -- in exchange for prosecutors' seeking no more than four years ** in prison and the dropping of other charges against him. Sentencing will be Feb. 26.

The Sun does not print the names of suspected victims of sexual assault. It is not identifying the father to protect the identity of the daughter, who was 7 at the time of the Aug. 15 assault.

The man was arrested a week after the girl's mother told police he had raped the child.

Rogers said trying the case would have been difficult because of the child's learning disabilities, which include impaired speech. The mother also is mentally impaired, she said.

Defense attorney Paul Kirby told Judge Clayton R. Greene that an examination of the child did not prove she necessarily had been raped.

The most serious charge was first-degree assault, punishable by up to 25 years in prison. The man entered the plea to sexual child abuse, which carries a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison.

According to charging documents, the mother left the girl with FTC the girl's father while she and another child went to a picnic. When the mother returned about 9 p.m., the father was gone. The child told her mother the father forced her to perform a sex act and raped her, the documents said.

Pub Date: 12/09/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.