Rowan ousts Hopkins in Div. III quarterfinal 1-0 OT loss marks Jays' only shutout of year

Men's College Soccer

November 22, 1998|By Rich Fisher | Rich Fisher,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

GLASSBORO, N.J. -- The first shutout of the season suffered by the Johns Hopkins men's soccer team was the last game of the year for the Blue Jays.

Chris Swanger's goal 55 seconds into the first sudden-death overtime gave Rowan a 1-0 victory last night in the NCAA Division III quarterfinals.

Hopkins (18-2-2) was seeking its first trip to the national semifinals since 1994.

"They deserved to win. They played better than us. I hope they keep going," Hopkins coach Matt Smith said. "I don't think we played a strong game -- that is what's bothering the players. I hope we get another shot at this. We are a young team, and we only lose one player [goalie Keith Millman]."

Rowan (16-5-1) will meet the winner of today's Macalester-Greensboro game Friday or Saturday at a site to be determined. It is the Profs' first final four berth since winning it all in 1990.

Rowan avenged a 2-1 loss at Hopkins earlier this season by holding 16-goal scorer Ted Zingman without a shot. Zingman was marked by Damon Petras most of the night and was picked up by John Sroka after he was dropped back to midfield.

The shutout was the first against a Blue Jays team that set a school record with 79 goals.

After 120 scoreless minutes, the winning goal came off the foot of a three-year starter playing in his first NCAA tournament. Swanger missed the tourney in 1996 with an injury and missed last year's tournament due to a red card. The Profs lost in the first round each time.

Swanger's goal came out of a scramble in the box. The defender side volleyed a shot from 18 yards out over the head of Millman, who finished with five saves.

Playing without second-leading scorer Rich Dixon, who has seven goals but sat out due to a fighting red card in the opening round against Montclair, Rowan held much of the play in the first half.

The Blue Jays nearly scored 12 minutes into play when Aerik Williams hit a low, hard shot, and Chris Esnes dropped down to make the save.

With less than two minutes left in the half, Sam Steinman dropped a pass into open space in the box but no Blue Jay was there, and before the buzzer Matt Doran headed a free kick over the goal.

Johns Hopkins ... 0 ... 0 ... 0 ... 0 ... 0 -- 0

Rowan ........... 0 ... 0 ... 0 ... 0 ... 1 -- 1

Pub Date: 11/22/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.