Woman charged with abduction is free on $100,000 bail Police accuse mother of taking 5-year-old son

November 19, 1998|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,SUN STAFF

A former Finksburg woman, who was arrested Aug. 5 in Michigan on charges of abducting her 5-year-old son in 1990 after losing custody of him, was freed yesterday on $100,000 bail.

Sharon E. Wimperis, 50, signed court papers for her release and left with David Seaby, her adult son from a previous marriage.

She declined to comment without having her lawyer present.

Wimperis has been held in lieu of bail at the Carroll County Detention Center in Westminster since Aug. 26, when she was returned to Maryland.

Her son Adam, now 13, was returned to the custody of his father, William J. Wimperis of Finksburg, the day after FBI agents found and arrested the mother on a federal warrant near Detroit. She was charged with two misdemeanors involving child abduction -- inside the state and outside the state -- by a noncustodial parent.

According to terms of the bail agreement set by District Judge Marc G. Rasinsky, Wimperis is barred from having contact with Adam unless visitation is approved and supervised by the boy's therapist, Holman said.

She may have no contact with her ex-husband, his wife and stepchildren, he said.

Sharon Wimperis is scheduled for trial Dec. 11 in District Court in Westminster. The maximum penalty for child abduction by a noncustodial parent is one year, prosecutors said.

Dusky Holman, a Towson attorney representing Wimperis, said by telephone that he was pleased those supporting his client were able to raise the money for her release.

"Sharon's being free will make it easier to prepare for trial," Holman said. "You have to remember, Sharon hasn't lived in Maryland for 8 1/2 years. She'll have the opportunity to get acclimated, look for a job, find a residence and establish her NTC roots."

Holman said Wimperis had not contacted him. He said he did not know where she would be living.

Wimperis has maintained that she fled with Adam because her ex-husband sexually molested the boy, allegations her former husband has vehemently denied.

In April 1990, Carroll Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. rejected evidence from two of her expert witnesses and awarded custody of Adam to his father. The mother had a regular visitation day each week and had the boy on alternate weekends. She was considering an appeal of the custody decision.

According to state police, Sharon Wimperis failed to return the boy after one of those visits -- Father's Day 1990 -- and vanished.

Pub Date: 11/19/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.