Blast has no better luck in 16-14 loss to Wings Overtime defeat on road keeps team winless

November 15, 1998|By Bob Stratton | Bob Stratton,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

WICHITA, Kan. -- It was a roller-coaster ride for both the Baltimore Blast and Wichita Wings last night at the Kansas Coliseum.

But in the end, in overtime no less, the Wings prevailed, 16-14, keeping the Blast winless for the 1998-99 season.

Erik Rasmussen, making his season's debut for Wichita, scored at 5: 03 of overtime to give the Wings their second straight victory. Rasmussen's shot from the top of the box hit the crossbar and landed inside the net. It was his first points of the night.

"There's always an element of luck," said Rasmussen with a sheepish smile afterward. I knew with a couple of moves to the left, I'd have a shot. Then I hit it well. It couldn't have come at a better time."

The Blast was led by Danny Kelly's hat trick.

The Blast found itself down by four points with less than six minutes remaining as Wichita rallied from a three-point deficit at the end of three quarters.

But the Blast quickly got goals from Denison Cabral and Doug Neely to tie the game at 14. Neely's goal came with 3: 13 left, 44 seconds after Cabral's.

"We didn't play well, but we pulled out the victory. That's a good sign," said Wichita coach Kevin Kewley. "Baltimore may have tied the game, but we still felt we had the momentum. We knew we'd get a decent chance in overtime."

The Blast had a chance to put the game away much earlier.

Down 6-0 after the first half, it scored nine straight points to take a 9-6 lead early in the second.

Nothing went wrong for the Wings in the first quarter. Wichita struck for three two-point goals to take a 6-0 advantage.

LeBaron Hollimon put in a shot just 44 seconds into the game for a Wichita lead. It was the second straight game Hollimon had scored early for the Wings. He had the initial goal in Wichita's 12-3 victory over Kansas City last week.

Late in the quarter, Jason Olliges and Sterling Wescott got goals for Wichita. The two-pointers came just 21 seconds apart. Olliges outran the Blast, creating a breakaway attempt. The ball rolled in after Blast goalkeeper David Tenney partially blocked the shot.

Wescott was the recipient of a cross-field pass from Genoni Martinez, who was leading a three-on-one break. Tenney, protecting the near side, had no chance at Wescott on the back side.

The Blast, however, seemed to switch roles with the Wings in the second quarter. While Wichita couldn't get a shot on goal, the Blast scored four straight to forge a 7-6 halftime advantage.

Danny Santoro capitalized on a turnover in the Wichita end and scored at 2:34. Then Derrick Marcano scored off a rebound on Jason Dieter's hard shot.

Kelly put the Blast in the lead, first scoring a shootout goal and then delivering a two-pointer after the Blast failed to convert on a power-play chance.

The Blast extended its lead to 9-6 just 17 seconds into the second half as Tarik Walker dribbled between two Wings and sent the ball into the net.

The Blast kept a three-point margin through the third quarter as the teams matched power-play goals.

Pub Date: 11/15/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.