River Hill arrives late but finishes early, 6-1 Hawks race to 5-0 lead by half, make 3rd final

Class 2A boys soccer

November 14, 1998|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

FREDERICK -- River Hill's biggest concern at yesterday's state Class 2A state semifinal was transportation. Or lack thereof.

The Hawks didn't arrive until 10 minutes before their scheduled 5 p.m. start against Wicomico County's Parkside. They were given 30 minutes to prepare, not that they seemed to need it.

Parkside was no match for No. 4-ranked, defending Class 2A state champion River Hill (18-1-0), which earned its third straight trip to a state final with a lopsided 6-1 victory.

The Hawks will play Baltimore County's Patapsco, a 1-0 winner over Bethesda-Chevy Chase yesterday, for the state title next Friday or Saturday at UMBC.

Just how lopsided was this game? River Hill outshot Parkside 12-1 in the first half and led 5-0 at the break. The Hawks outshot them, 25-6, for the game, taking 13 corner kicks; Parkside had none.

"We're playing well when we get into our rhythm," Hawks coach Bill Stara said. "I was concerned that we had to get some of that intensity we had for Mount Hebron [in Tuesday's region championship game], and when the bus was late, it took away from our focus."

Midfielder Justin Gotis scored first on a header off Brett Endler's corner kick in the sixth minute.

"They [Parkside] were decent," Gotis said. "We just had a good game."

Striker Adom Crew (16 goals, 13 assists), an Under-17 national team pool member, made it 2-0 in the 14th minute, beating defender Justin Miller at 10 yards and calmly shooting past diving goalkeeper Josh Johnson at 5 yards.

Fullback Aaron Pierce scored the third goal off a deflection of Crew's header in the 21st minute.

Fullback Matt Charmella put the Hawks ahead 4-0 in the 23rd minute on a put-back. And striker Scott Buescher volleyed in the fifth goal off a pass from midfielder DeForest McDuff.

Parkside switched goalkeepers in the second half, and Robbie Snyder was much more effective than Johnson, making eight saves and playing aggressively.

"The second goalkeeper was definitely better," said Buescher. "But we lost our shape."

Said Stara: "It's hard to stay focused when you're leading 5-0."

Parkside (9-6-1) reached the semifinals by upsetting unbeaten Stephen Decatur in the regional final, 2-0.

Coach Andy Hall of the Salisbury-area team said he did not expect another upset because River Hill plays higher-caliber soccer.

Parkside avoided a shutout in the 44th minute, but eight minutes later, Gotis intercepted a pass and scored River Hill's final goal from 10 yards.

Pub Date: 11/14/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.