Hereford falls on PKs after Hammond knots score in 79th minute 'Cautious' Bulls bow, 3-2

Mueller's goals give her 25

Girls soccer

November 12, 1998|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

Hammond's Melissa Workman tied the game with 1: 57 left in regulation and then, after two scoreless overtime periods, the Golden Bears didn't miss in the shootout to defeat Hereford, 3-2, in the Class 1A South region championship last night at Howard High.

The fifth-ranked Golden Bears (15-1-1) will play Snow Hill (13-1-1) of Worcester County in the state semifinals.

The location and time for the Class 1A semifinals -- Williamsport plays Havre de Grace in the other game -- will be announced today.

Melissa Mueller, who scored both second-half goals for Hereford, started the shootout by hitting the left post, with the ball bouncing away.

Hammond's Martha Bielefeld followed and began a string of eight successful kicks for the Golden Bears.

Hereford goalkeeper Natalie Rostek got her hand on three of Hammond's kicks but was not able to control them.

With Hammond ahead 6-5 in the shootout, Hereford missed its next three kicks. The first hit the crossbar, the next the left post, and Hammond goalkeeper Lindsey Mitchell batted away the shot that clinched her team's win.

That save was the only time Mitchell touched the ball during the shootout.

"I was just thinking, if I made the save, we win and we get to go home," said Mitchell, one of the state's top goalkeepers.

Mueller gave eighth-ranked Hereford (14-4) a 1-0 lead in the 47th minute. Hammond tied it on Michelle Jenkins' goal in the 63rd minute, but a couple minutes later Mueller gave the Bulls the lead again with her 25th goal of the season.

Hammond controlled much of the remainder of regulation play, but Hereford was up to the task -- at least until the final two minutes.

"I think we got a little too cautious [after the go-ahead goal]," said Hereford coach Steve Power, "and being cautious is not good."

With the clock ticking down, Hammond's Monica Herianni took a corner kick to the left of the goal.

Hereford could not clear, and with Rostek on the ground reaching for the ball, Hammond's Jenkins, who also had fallen, kicked it out to keep it alive.

Workman saw the ball bounce out.

"I just ran through it and it hit my thigh [and went in]," said Workman.

This was the third playoff in which Workman has played a key role.

In last week's shootout win over Oakland Mills, her 74th-minute goal sent the game into overtime. Last Saturday, she scored to give Hammond a 1-0 win over Glenelg.

"She's an amazing player," said Hammond coach Pete Di Marco. "Under pressure, you have to play well, and she does that very nicely."

Hereford, which was hoping to make its fourth state tournament appearance in five years, might have tired late in the second half and overtime period.

"We had them, but you have to give it to Hammond," Power said. "They were going to every loose ball, because they were anxious to get it."

Pub Date: 11/12/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.