Unselfish score gives Terps a playoff win all their own Mynarski feeds Sarver to lift UM women by Fairfield, 4-3

November 12, 1998|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

COLLEGE PARK -- Although Maryland hindered itself with mental lapses and hesitant play, the Terrapins didn't flinch on their final decision of the game.

Faced with a two-on-one break, Maryland's Jackie Mynarski resisted temptation and set up Keri Sarver for an uncontested goal with 21 seconds remaining, lifting the Terps to a 4-3 victory over Fairfield in an NCAA women's soccer tournament first-round game.

Maryland (11-10-1), which had backed into the tournament with six losses in its final eight games, now advances to play at William and Mary this weekend in the second round. The loss stopped a 15-game winning streak for the Stags (18-2).

"It was very unselfish," Sarver said. "She could have scored herself, but she looked up and saw I was wide-open. Jackie had a chance to score, but I was 100 percent open."

Mynarski dribbled the ball deep into the box until Fairfield goalkeeper Anne Lyons committed to cut off her angle. After one glance, Mynarski tapped the ball to the right wing to Sarver, who scored her third goal of the game and tied the school record with her 21st of the season.

"I have no problem letting Keri Sarver do the goal-scoring," Mynarski said. "That's what she is here for and that's what she has done for the last four years."

Sarver dueled Fairfield forward Abby Allan for most of the game, as each traded goals for a 2-2 tie with 24 minutes left in the game.

However, Maryland took its first lead of the game with 9: 19 remaining, when Robin McCullough scored on a penalty kick. But less than two minutes later, the Stags responded on Pamm Cluff's 20-yard shot into the left corner of the goal.

The Terps never lost composure and received an inspired effort by backup goalkeeper Ali Wolff, who played the final 60 minutes after Riki-Ann Serrins suffered a season-ending dislocated shoulder.

Wolff turned away Fairfield's last scoring chance, making a diving save with 3 1/2 minutes left to preserve the 3-3 tie.

Then Sarver, who scored the game-winning overtime goal in Maryland's last home game, allowed the Terps to move into the second round for the third time in four years.

"When you get into the tournament, there's no easy games," Maryland coach Alan Kirkup said. "I thought in the end, we were fortunate to get away with a win."

Goals: F--Allan 2, Cluff; M--Sarver 3, McCullough. Assists: F--Stevens, Cluff; M--Harbo 2, Mynarski. Saves: F--Lyons 7; M--Serrins 1, Wolfe 3. Half: 1-1.

Pub Date: 11/12/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.