Boy, 3, injured by nail fired from pellet gun Child and his brother, 12, struggled over weapon

November 11, 1998|By Del Quentin Wilber | Del Quentin Wilber,SUN STAFF

A 3-year-old Woodbine boy was in good condition at a Baltimore hospital yesterday, a day after he was hit by a nail accidentally fired from a pellet gun.

The boy's 12-year-old brother allegedly fired the shot about 4 p.m. Monday in their bedroom, police said.

The mother -- thinking the boy had been hit by a pellet -- drove him to Carroll County General Hospital, the boys' grandmother said. There, X-rays revealed the nail, which had nicked the boy's liver and bowel and damaged his gall bladder.

The boy was taken to University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore, where surgeons removed the gall bladder, police said.

The grandmother, who asked not to be identified, said the 12-year-old brought the pellet gun to the family's home in the 15000 block of Woodbine Morgan Road last weekend, and was told to put it away.

After school Monday, the boy tried to dislodge something from the gun and jammed a nail inside the barrel, the grandmother said. The two boys then struggled for the gun on the elder boy's bed when the gun fired, the grandmother said.

The boys' parents are divorced, the grandmother said, and the father was going to take the pellet gun away later that day.

"Just an hour later, and the accident wouldn't have happened," said the grandmother. "You shouldn't let children have guns in the home."

Pub Date: 11/11/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.