Game 9: Ravens' wait ends in a smile

Ravens 13, Raiders 10

Officials, Raiders give anxious moments, but 4-game drought over; 'The ending was crazy'; Calls negate TD, replay of last play for Raiders

November 09, 1998|By Mike Preston | Sun reporter

The referees were huddled in the end zone after time ran out, trying to determine if there was a penalty that would give the Oakland Raiders another shot to tie or win the game yesterday, and the Ravens were getting some bad vibes.Ravens center Wally Williams said he thought the officials would give the Raiders another play. Defensive tackle Tony Siragusa thought the Raiders would be awarded a victory. Cornerback Rod Woodson was giving the Ravens' side of the argument in the middle of the officials. And coach Ted Marchibroda said he had no clue to what was going on.

The final verdict, please: Ravens 13, Raiders 10, before an announced crowd of 69,037 at Ravens stadium.

The Ravens breathed a sigh of relief after the tense moments. The Ravens (3-6) broke a four-game losing streak, won their second of five home games this season and won their first game ever in November.

Nothing has come easy for the Ravens. Though the officials conferred to decide whether the Ravens had too many men on the field on the final play, in the end, they let stand rookie Duane Starks' end-zone interception.

Oakland (6-3) had sent on its field-goal team after an incomplete pass for a 57-yard attempt with three seconds left in the game, but then replaced it with the regular offense. The Ravens had players entering and leaving the field. There was chaos.

"The way things have gone for us here in this new stadium, I was waiting for some strange thing to happen like they give them a touchdown and we lose," said Siragusa. "After having all this negative stuff thrown at us in the last couple of weeks, it's nice to be able to throw some of it back."

"The ending was crazy as usual," Williams said. "Yeah, I was waiting for them to give them another chance. Why not? Even when we do win, something weird always happens."

Something weird happened yesterday. The Ravens had only one turnover, and their special teams didn't have any major blunders, as Matt Stover kicked two 30-yard field goals, including the game-winner with 9: 14 left in the game.

The defense turned in its usually strong effort. Woodson returned an interception 18 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter, defensive end Michael McCrary finished with four sacks and the Ravens had a brilliant goal-line stand in the second quarter. The worst play was by safety/linebacker Ralph Staten, who blew an assignment and allowed tight end Rickey Dudley a 5-yard touchdown pass that tied the score 10-10 with 13: 59 left in the game.

"You don't know, you just don't know," McCrary said, describing the win. "It's been rough, really, really bad. Now, maybe we can get this thing turned around. I've said all along we could beat any team in the league, but we had to hit on all cylinders -- offense, defense and special teams. Today, we got good performances from all three."

The win was all about defense. Strong-side linebacker Peter Boulware set the tone when he came in untouched on a blitz and hit quarterback Jeff George after a 35-yard completion to James Jett on George's first pass of the game. George played three more plays before he had to leave with an aggravated groin injury, suffered on Boulware's blitz.

Backup quarterback Donald Hollas, who threw two interceptions and just missed three more, threw the first of his flutterballs on his first pass with 3: 08 left in the first quarter. Hollas ran a play-action to his left and then bootlegged to his right. Woodson rolled from the left side with intended receiver Tim Brown, stepped in front of the short pass for an interception and ran down the left sideline for an 18-yard touchdown and a 7-0 Ravens lead.

"I saw the bootleg coming and I made the call to the linebackers, but they didn't hear me," said Woodson. "I rolled with him and saw that pass coming. When it got there, I just took it and ran with it."

The Raiders made all kinds of mistakes. They had 356 total yards, but 14 penalties for minus 98 yards. They tortured Starks with Jett, but couldn't contain McCrary or middle linebacker Ray Lewis. McCrary whipped up on rookie left tackle Mo Collins, then ripped through a couple of double-teams in the second half.

"If there is somebody not as experienced across from me, I feel a certain obligation I have to make more plays," said McCrary, a six-year veteran who had a 10-yard sack at the Raiders' 30 with about a minute left in the game. "As an individual, I treated it like any other game. I try to give everything I have. We know that we're capable of stopping anyone. We've got a lot of heart on defense, and we've got a lot of pride."

It showed during the goal-line stand. The Raiders had gone from their 15 to the Ravens' 3. On first-and-goal, running back Harvey Williams was tackled by McCrary after a 2-yard run up the middle.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.