Roland Park, Bryn Mawr share AIS championship Unbeaten Reds force OT with goal with 6: 23 left

Field hockey

November 09, 1998|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

There were no cheers after yesterday's Association of Independent Schools A Division final, but there were no tears, either.

Neither team knew exactly what to feel after No. 1 Roland Park and No. 3 Bryn Mawr played to a 1-1 double-overtime co-champion tie before more than 500 fans at Towson University.

The game was not without its exciting moments, especially when Mawrtians goalie Katie Coyne made an exceptional split save on Elizabeth Ryan's penalty stroke and when Reds midfielder Betsy Gaines tied the game with 6: 23 left in regulation.

But the players wanted something more -- a winner.

"I don't know how I feel," said Reds senior goalie Gretchen Crook. "With a rivalry this huge and coming down to the final and it being a tie, I don't feel like I've played my last game for Roland Park. There should be more."

Crook and Coyne agreed that they would rather have gone to a shootout than end in a tie.

"Yeah, it's hard for the goalie," said Coyne, "and it's hard for the shooters, but I think [a shootout] adds some closure to it."

Instead, the neighborhood rivals had to settle for being co-champs after two inconclusive five-minute, seven-on-seven overtime periods. Perhaps the tie was a fitting end because both teams had such exceptional seasons.

The Reds (21-0-2) finished as the area's only unbeaten team. They notched 17 shutouts and allowed six goals. They also claimed a small victory yesterday by winning the coin toss to keep the championship trophy for the first six months.

The defending champion Mawrtians (15-1-5) lost only to the Reds, 2-0 during the regular season. They had 18 shutouts, including 14 straight and allowed four goals -- three to the Reds.

Yesterday, the Mawrtians dominated early with four penalty corners, and Jen Ahn scored off the fourth one. From the middle, Jessica McAdams passed the ball wide to Ahn on the left post. Ahn stroked it high into the cage with 13: 01 left in the first half.

The Reds, who seemed out of sync for much of the half, drove two shots wide and had a couple of breaks upset by Mawrtians defenders Kelly Noon and Laura Birx before halftime.

Two minutes after the half, Coyne stepped up to stop another Reds surge. She went down trying to punch clear the ball and after a few seconds of holding several Reds attackers off the ball, was called for covering it.

On the resulting penalty stroke, Ryan fired a low blast headed inside the post to Coyne's right, but Coyne slid into a split to kick the ball away.

"It was well placed, and I guess I got a good jump on it," said Coyne, who has saved seven of nine penalty strokes this season, including four of six in a tournament shootout win over Bethesda-Chevy Chase.

"I thought that was going to seal it. The last time I remember looking at the clock, it was like 7: 35, and I thought, 'We have this.' Then, I saw them come down and in that corner be completely unmarked. Betsy's shot was awesome."

Gaines cut into the middle on a corner play to deflect Stasia Thomas' cross from the right into the cage. That tied the game with 6: 23 left in regulation.

John Carroll 1, Lutheran 0: Michelle Vornadore scored the game winner with 4: 17 left in the first half to lead the Patriots (7-4-3) over the Saints (9-6-5) for the B Division championship.

Pub Date: 11/09/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.