George N. Marshall Sr., 55, painter, former...

November 07, 1998

George N. Marshall Sr., 55, painter, former huckster

Services for George N. Marshall Sr., a former huckster and painter, will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at St. Paul's Church , 5010 St. Pauls Road in Millers.

Mr. Marshall died Tuesday when he was electrocuted while preparing to paint the exterior of an apartment house in North Baltimore. He was 55 and lived in Millers.

Since the early 1990s, he had been a painter for Wertz Painting Contractors Co. in Hamilton.

For 33 years, until he retired in 1991, Mr. Miller operated a huckster business that was founded by his grandfather in the early 1920s. From a van, he sold fresh eggs and produce, sausage and turkeys to customers in Roland Park and Baltimore County.

He grew many of the vegetables on his 17-acre farm in Millers, where he was born and raised. He was a 1961 graduate of Hereford High School and served in the Army Reserve from 1963 to 1969.

He was an active member of St. Paul's Church, where he was a member of the cemetery board and former treasurer and member of the pastor-parish committee.

He is survived by his wife of 31 years, the former Doris V. Wilhelm; a son, George N. Marshall Jr. of Hampstead; a daughter, Beth V. Rogers of Overlea; his mother, Frauline S. Marshall of Millers; and a sister, Ruth Y. Dillow of Millers; and three grandchildren.

Edward J. Santora, 90, operated clinical lab

Edward J. Santora, who owned and operated a Baltimore clinical laboratory for more than 40 years, died Wednesday of pneumonia at Good Samaritan Hospital. The Timonium resident was 90.

A Baltimore native, Mr. Santora graduated from Loyola High School in the 1920s and received a bachelor's degree from the Johns Hopkins University in the early 1930s. He was trained in biomedical sciences at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.

During World War II, he was stationed at the Naval Academy in Annapolis and directed scientific investigations as a member of the Navy's Committee on Medical Research for the Office of Scientific Research and Development.

He operated a clinical laboratory in San Diego in 1946. In 1948, he returned to Baltimore, where he established a laboratory on North Calvert Street and, later, on St. Paul Street. He retired in 1989.

Mr. Santora was an avid golfer and enjoyed traveling, classical music and opera. He was remembered by friends and relatives for his adventurous spirit and generosity.

Mr. Santora was a longtime member of the Roman Catholic Church of the Nativity, 1800 Vista Lane in Timonium, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 12: 30 p.m. today.

He married the former Lillian Zelenka in 1931; she died in 1948.

He is survived by his wife, the former Agnes Fahey, whom he married in 1948; three sons, Michael Santora of Abingdon, Stephen Santora of Frederick and Edward J. Santora Jr. of Columbia; five daughters, JoAnne Cary and Barbara Berry, both of Timonium, Mary Louise Carney of Baldwin, Patricia Santora of Baltimore and Christine Dove of White Marsh; 14 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.