Bond revoked for man awaiting trial on charges in April arsons New charge of threatening witness prompts action

November 06, 1998|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,SUN STAFF

A Carroll Circuit judge revoked the bond yesterday of a Westminster man who is awaiting trial on arson and malicious-burning charges stemming from four fires in April.

Saying he had no choice in light of the severity of a new charge -- threat of arson -- Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. ordered Kevin W. Wayson, 20, of the 1200 block of Campus Court to be held without bond at the Carroll County Detention Center.

Wayson had been free on $100,000 bond since July. He is accused of setting fire to a house under construction in Reese and to a barn, a car and a trash pile in Westminster between April 13 and April 30.

Prosecutor Brian L. DeLeonardo told Burns that he did not seek bond revocation when Wayson was charged on Sept. 11 with underage possession of alcohol and on Sept. 12 with eight traffic offenses, including attempting to elude police by failing to stop.

But, DeLeonardo said, he couldn't ignore a new charge filed yesterday by state fire marshals alleging that Wayson threatened to destroy the house of a potential witness on Tuesday evening.

Michael S. Levin, a Westminster lawyer representing Wayson, argued unsuccessfully that placing his client in jail would greatly inconvenience preparation for his trial on Nov. 17. He said his client had an absolute right to assist in his own defense.

Levin asked that Wayson be allowed to continue living with his parents under pretrial supervision, saying his client would agree to have no contact with any potential witness.

The most serious of the original charges against Wayson, first-degree arson, carries a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison and a fine of $50,000, fire marshals said.

Pub Date: 11/06/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.