PKs get Hammond past Oakland Mills Golden Bears to face Glenelg in semifinal

November 05, 1998|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

Hammond needed two days and a penalty-kick shootout but defeated stubborn Oakland Mills, 3-2, in a Class 1A South region quarterfinal yesterday at Hammond.

The seventh-ranked Golden Bears (13-1-1) made seven of 10 penalty kicks against Oakland Mills goalkeeper Nicole Petro. The Scorpions (5-10) put four past Hammond keeper Lindsey Mitchell.

Hammond will play at Glenelg at 2 p.m. Saturday in a region semifinal game. Hammond beat Glenelg, 1-0, in overtime at Glenelg on Sept. 25.

In yesterday's shootout, Hammond scored on six of its first seven shots. Martha Bielefeld, Sarah Walker, Katie Fink, Brita Grothe, Lauren Traber and Erin Davis gave the Golden Bears a 6-2 lead. Katie Anderson, who was injured in Tuesday's game, and Katie Nutter scored for Oakland Mills.

When the seventh kicker for Oakland Mills missed, the officials blew their whistle and indicated that Hammond had won. But a few seconds later, they realized their mistake -- that Hammond needed one more goal or an Oakland Mills miss to clinch -- and the shootout continued.

The next two Hammond players missed, but Oakland Mills' Shannon Glisan and Heather Romich didn't, and the Scorpions still were alive at 6-4.

Hammond's Monica Serianni, the 10th kicker, placed the ball perfectly in the right corner, ending the suspense.

"I felt a lot of pressure," said Serianni. "I concentrated and just did what I practiced."

The quarterfinal game started Tuesday but was suspended with the score at 2-all because of darkness with 7: 29 left in the second overtime period. That's where yesterday's game began, and as had been the case Tuesday, Hammond dominated possession and shots but could not finish.

Hammond took the only shots yesterday -- four -- and Oakland Mills crossed mid-field just once.

"I think the better team won, and we deserved it," said Hammond coach Peter Di Marco, who admitted Oakland Mills' kick-and-run style frustrated his team at times.

Oakland Mills, which has only two seniors, ended the regular season on a high note, eliminating Mount Hebron for a share of the county title with a 1-0 win. The Scorpions led Hammond, 2-1, at halftime Tuesday and didn't give up the tying goal until the 73rd minute.

"We did a lot things people didn't expect us to do," said junior Molly Sunderdick. "I can't think of anyone on the team that didn't try their hardest. And there's no shame in trying your hardest."

Anderson's injury Tuesday forced the suspension of the game. She suffered a bad sprain and a small fracture in her left ankle. She entered yesterday's game with two minutes left, allowing her to play in the shootout.

Pub Date: 11/05/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.