Court asked to revoke bond of defendant in arson cases

November 05, 1998|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,SUN STAFF

Carroll County prosecutors sought yesterday to have bond revoked for a Westminster man accused of threatening to destroy the house of a potential witness in pending arson cases.

In June, state fire marshals charged Kevin W. Wayson, 20, of the 1200 block of Campus Court in four fires in April that destroyed a house under construction in Reese, and a barn, trash pile and car in Westminster, court records show. Wayson has been free on bond since July.

Prosecutor Brian DeLeonardo asked Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. yesterday to hear arguments on revoking Wayson's $100,000 bond at a hearing on the defendant's motion to suppress statements he made about the initial charges.

Since posting bond in July, Wayson was charged Sept. 11 with underage possession of alcohol. That matter is pending in District Court, DeLeonardo said.

On Sept. 12, Wayson was charged by state police with eight traffic offenses, including attempting to elude police by failing to stop, driving without a license, and driving without insurance, DeLeonardo said. Those cases are also pending in District Court, he said.

"The defendant poses a serious danger to the community, in general, and to the state's witnesses, in particular," DeLeonardo said in his motion.

"Indeed, the defendant has shown no ability to refrain from engaging in unlawful behavior."

Michael S. Levin, a Westminster attorney representing Wayson, sought a postponment of the hearing on the bond revocation issue. Burns granted a postponement until 10 a.m. today.

If Burns revokes Wayson's bond, the defendant will be held at the Carroll County Detention Center.

Fire marshals filed court papers yesterday seeking to charge Wayson with one count of making an arson threat.

DeLeonardo said he learned that Wayson went to the home of a potential witness Tuesday evening and began to argue with the occupants. When told to leave, Wayson allegedly threatened to "blow up [the] house and burn it to the ground," DeLeonardo said.

Witnesses said Wayson was "extremely intoxicated," he said.

The suppression motion was withdrawn after DeLeonardo told Burns that Wayson's statements about the initial crimes -- essentially that he did not commit them -- would not be used at any of the trials. The first trial is scheduled to begin Nov. 17.

The original charges stemmed from an undercover operation at Westminster High School that led to the arrest of Wayson and six juveniles in a series of arson and theft cases.

Police said an undercover officer purchased a .38-caliber pistol from one youth; bought marijuana from three suspects; and developed evidence on two auto thefts in Westminster, three cases of malicious destruction of property; and several shoplifting incidents.

Pub Date: 11/05/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.