Anne Phelan Lohmeyer, 83, St. Paul's School teacher

November 05, 1998

Anne Phelan Lohmeyer, one of the original faculty members of St. Paul's School for Girls, died Friday of complications of a stroke at Roland Park Place retirement community. She was 83.

She had lived at the retirement community since 1991.

She began her teaching career in the mid-1950s at Bryn Mawr School. When St. Paul's in Brooklandville opened in 1959, she joined the faculty as a history teacher and left in the mid-1960s.

The former Anne Phelan Wright was born in Atlanta and reared in Rome, Ga. She made her debut in Atlanta in 1934 and earned a bachelor's degree from Goucher College.

In 1937, she married William Carl Lohmeyer, owner of Lohmeyer's, the Charles Street men's store that was founded in 1857 and closed in 1982. He died in 1979.

An avid reader and book collector, Mrs. Lohmeyer was active in the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in Maryland, and a member of the Hardy Garden Club. She was a communicant of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in Ruxton, where she had been a member of the Altar Guild.

Graveside services were held Sunday in Rome.

Mrs. Lohmeyer is survived by two daughters, Mary Anne L. Cover of Owings Mills and Barry L. Stout of Augusta, Ga.; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Pub Date: 11/05/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.