Long Reach outlasts Atholton, wins, 1-0 Brewrink's goal lifts Lightning in 2A South

November 04, 1998|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Before the season began, Long Reach coach Shawn Smith predicted his team would win eight games. That was bold. During the third-year Lightning's first two seasons they only won one game.

Long Reach made its coach's prediction come true yesterday in the quarterfinals of the Class 2A South Region playoffs in Columbia.

The Lightning improved its record to 8-5-2 by defeating Atholton, 1-0.

Long Reach plays at Mount Hebron Friday in the semifinals.

"People underestimated us this season, but we knew we had the heart to win this many games," said Long Reach senior midfielder and captain Terrell Gary. "Our transition game was good today"

It was a transition that accounted for the lone goal in the 59th minute.

Atholton sophomore sweeper Nick Zaron played the best game of his career, repeatedly turning away one-on-one attacks with patience, good judgment and deft footwork.

Long Reach's Brian Fitzgerald finally beat Zaron around the corner, however. Fitzgerald's shot at the 6-yard line was repelled on a kick slide by goalkeeper Chris Fox.

Freshman Long Reach striker Michael Brewrink then beat a defender to the loose ball and his right-footed follow shot found the open net under the crossbar. It was his third goal.

"It was the only time all day we beat him [Zaron]," Brewrink said.

Atholton (0-15) mounted some impressive second-half offensive thrusts by putting together crisp passes -- often enough to produce five potent shots.

Jamie Hollander's 25-yarder was touch-saved up over the crossbar by Long Reach goalkeeper Eric Owens in the 42nd minute.

Then, Owens stopped Zach Silverman's hard shot on goal in the 53rd minute. A minute later, Danny Dworkin's dangerous corner kick was turned away.

Ross Laidig's hard shot just missed the right post in the 78th minute.

And Pat Thomas boomed a tricky shot from 45 yards in the 80th minute that was on goal, but saved.

The inability to finish was the story of the season for Atholton, loser of several heartbreakers, including a 2-1 double-overtime setback to Long Reach last week.

Atholton thought it had scored in the first half yesterday when Silverman's header bounced off the goalkeeper and was kicked in by Justin Pak. But the referee blew his whistle after the ball went into the net, ruling that Pak had been in an offside position when Dworkin made the initial pass to Silverman.

"This was a heartbreaker for us," Fox said. "Everyone put together everything they had. Zaron was really excellent. But as the coaches always tell you, on defense you have to be 100 percent perfect."

No. 3 Mount Hebron 3, Central 0: Joel Snook, Matt Midura and Pete Lindahl scored to lead the host Vikings (13-1-1) over their Prince George's County opponent in a Class 2A South Region quarterfinal.

Ryan Dear, David Lechtrecker and Christian Chacon each had an assist.

Glenelg Country 4, Mount Carmel 2: Dan Liparini scored two goals and Kolin Leishman had a goal and an assist to lead the visiting Dragons over the Cougars (12-5) in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association C Conference playoffs.

Patrick Allison also scored for the Dragons, who led 2-0 at halftime.

Chris Daniloski scored two second-half goals for the Cougars.

Oakland Mills 4, Catoctin 0: Jeremy Catlin had three goals and an assist and the visiting Scorpions (13-2) totaled 40 shots in a Class 1A South Region quarterfinal win.

Oakland Mills did not allow a shot.

Pub Date: 11/04/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.