Woman, 82, run over when car is stolen

November 04, 1998

An 82-year-old Glen Burnie woman was dragged from her car and run over when the vehicle was stolen in the Giant parking lot in the 7900 block of Crain Highway yesterday morning, county police said.

The woman, Katherine VanSant of the 200 block of Oak Lane, was listed in critical but stable condition last night at Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

According to investigators, VanSant was sitting in her Ford Probe at about 9: 45 a.m., waiting for the light at Crain Highway in Glen Burnie to change, when a man opened the driver's side door and pulled her from the car. She was knocked to the ground and the wheels of the car ran over her when the man backed up.

A witness followed the Probe onto Route 97 north and called police from his car phone. He lost sight of the car when the driver left the Baltimore Beltway and got on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway traveling north, police said.

Investigators found the car a short time later on South Fulton Avenue in Baltimore. The suspect is described as a white man in his late 20s to early 30s with a slim build and long brown hair in a ponytail. He had a dark mustache and was wearing blue jeans and a dark-colored coat.

Chimney fire causes $25,000 in damage

A chimney fire forced the evacuation of about three dozen people from the historic Middleton Tavern in downtown Annapolis yesterday, caused $25,000 in damage and closed the restaurant for several hours.

The fire was discovered by someone who was walking outside and saw flames coming from the chimney and called fire officials about 12: 40 p.m., said Leonard Clark, Annapolis Fire Department spokesman.

Four engines and a ladder truck put the flames out 10 minutes later, Clark said. The Middleton Tavern building was constructed in 1750 and has had two major fires since the 1970s, Clark said.

The restaurant had to close for several hours to clean up yesterday, but opened again by early evening.

Woman rescued from burning home

Firefighters rescued a 55-year-old Harmans woman from her burning home early yesterday.

The blaze broke out in the basement of the home in the 1400 block of Gesha Drive at 5: 37 a.m. and quickly spread to the rest of the house, said Battalion Chief John Scholz, fire department spokesman.

Five of the six people in the home were able to get out after the smoke detectors went off. Three firefighters found Mildred Moore in her upstairs bedroom and carried her out of the house.

She was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center and treated for smoke inhalation, Scholz said.

Scholz said the cause of the fire was under investigation.

Pub Date: 11/04/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.