Stopping X-rated e-mail HELP LINE

November 02, 1998|By James Coates | James Coates,CHICAGO TRIBUNE

I started getting X-rated e-mail on AOL out of the clear blue. I can't imagine where they came from, but I need to stop them immediately. My children use this computer and e-mail.

You should log on to America Online, type in Control + K for Keyword Search and type in Mail Controls. Many options are available in the windows that follow.

You can order all e-mail addressed to your account shut off. Another choice lets you stipulate which e-mail senders' notes will reach you, causing all others to be rejected. A less secure tool lets you copy the sender's address from the offensive e-mails and ask all stuff from that source be stopped.

I suggest that you set up a screen name for your children and shut off all mail to them and use the other tools to reduce the incoming offensive stuff to your adult account.

Recently, in one of your replies to a question, you wrote, "My advice is to partition your hard drive into several different directories of 100 to 500 mb each."

My question: How do you partition? I have a 6.2-gigabyte hard drive and asked the computer salesman about partitioning, but he said I didn't need to, as Win95 would efficiently use the hard drive without partitioning. But I believe partitioning would be quite helpful in keeping certain directories separated.

As the salesman told you, partitioning is a bit of a hassle and not really needed by a great many Windows users.

But, as you note, you can simplify certain backups by breaking a huge drive into at least one small partition of a couple hundred megabytes as well as a huge partition holding the rest.

You can do your important stuff on the small partition, which backs up much faster than your whole, 6-gigabyte Goliath.

I find Partition-it ($60) by QuarterDeck Corp. the easiest and most reliable partitioning software out there, and if you've got a couple of free hours sometime, you could do that.

Another software choice is Partition Magic ($70) from PowerQuest, which includes additional features such as allowing one to set up a dual-boot machine capable of using more than one operating system.

An alternative that appeals to me more than partitioning is to buy a Zip drive or some other large-scale removable storage device for about $150 and use it as though it were a hard drive for the stuff you want to protect each day. Place the folders you want to protect on the Zip instead of the hard drive. You can then use Iomega's built-in copy function to back up your Zip disk.

Saving and retrieving data takes a bit longer with a Zip drive than a hard drive.

But you are spared the hassle of dealing with partitioning software and hard-drive backups.

I had a power failure that crashed my computer. When I rebooted, I got a message saying "INI file can't access a turbovxf.vxd file."

The computer seems to work OK, but how do I find out what program this file belongs to and how can I get rid of the message?

Go to the Windows Start command and choose Run and type in sysedit, which will open a window with all the so-called INI files (Windows initialization files) on your machine. Go through each until you find the one with turbovxf.vxd. Then place a semicolon in front of just that line and close the Window.

That will stop the annoying tickler.

Pub Date: 11/02/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.