Randallstown continues on unbeaten path, 41-7 Rams thrash Lansdowne to celebrate homecoming

November 01, 1998|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

It was a common sight yesterday when Lansdowne played at Randallstown: the Vikings' star running back, Gerald Hurt, disappearing beneath a horde of Rams tacklers.

And it made the end result a predictable one as No. 3 Randallstown rolled to a 41-7 win before a homecoming crowd.

The Rams (9-0 overall, 8-0 in Baltimore County's 1A-2A league) overcame a 7-6 first-quarter deficit for their 17th win in the last 19 games. The Rams have won 11 straight games in the county and this year's league title.

Marshall Contee had a game-opening 80-yard return for a touchdown and rushed for two more scores, Archie Trader scored twice on as many carries and Marcus Perry ran for a touchdown and a two-point conversion.

Dieter Munz was 3-for-5 on extra-point kicks and got his sixth interception of the year for the Rams, who last week beat 1A state champ Hereford.

Led defensively by Munz, Jamal Brown, Mykal Bouie, Quan Mitchell and Mike Jones, the Rams held the Vikings' Hurt to 58 yards, the first time this season he hasn't gained at least 100 yards.

Hurt has 1,575 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns for Lansdowne (6-3, 6-3), which was eliminated from playoff contention with yesterday's loss.

"He's a good, hard runner, but we focused on their whole team. Otherwise, that's how mistakes happen," Bouie said.

Lansdowne also played well defensively at the start, limiting Randallstown to minus-6 yards in the first period, being led defensively by Brad Lanasa and Brandon Jeffers. Lansdowne's John Brunelle broke up a pass in the end zone and blocked a kick.

Randallstown trailed, 7-6, after Matt Esposito's 4-yard run and Brunelle's extra point capped a 14-play, 66-yard drive with 2: 56 left in the first period.

In the second quarter, Lansdowne drove to Randallstown's 16, but was penalized twice and faced third-and-37 when Brown returned a pickoff 83 yards to the Lansdowne 1. Trader scored his first touchdown on the next play.

"We came out flat, they came out pounding," said Randallstown's B. J. Thomas. "It was an emotional thing, being down after beating Hereford. But our big plays turned it around."

Flaring tempers and the ejection of a Lansdowne player caused game officials to end the game with three minutes left.

Pub Date: 11/01/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.