Falcons edge Cougars, 2-1, for Anne Arundel crown Goals by Linehan, Traylor carry No. 6 Severna Park

October 28, 1998|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Severna Park, Anne Arundel County's premier boys soccer team, won its 14th county championship last night by 2-1 over Chesapeake at South River in Edgewater, but it was a first of sorts.

Senior Bernie Edwards set up junior Jon Traylor for the winner about 10 minutes into the second half, after the Cougars had tied it up a minute before on a goal by sophomore Mike Jungerheld.

The No. 6 Falcons (13-2), who have won more county titles since 1980 under Don Gregg than any other county school, had never won the championship game outright since it was instituted in 1994. That year, the Falcons shared the title with Chesapeake after a 3-3 double-overtime tie.

No. 8 Chesapeake (12-3) won the title in 1995 and 1997, and Broadneck was the 1996 champion.

"It's been a while since we won an outright county championship," said Gregg, the dean of county soccer coaches in his 25th season. "It was a definite team effort because we had some people get hurt."

The Falcons lost senior midfielder Matt Sansbury in the first half to an ankle injury and senior back Adam Bennett left six minutes into the second half with a slight concussion.

Striker Jerry Cornett (five goals, five assists) took a knee below the belt near the end of the first half and the injury nagged him the rest of the game. Cornett finally came out with about 18 minutes left.

"Matt was playing super in the middle before we lost him," Gregg said. "I didn't see any sense putting Adam back in because of the concussion. Billy Mooney had a great game for us in the middle."

Mooney agreed and said he "just felt quick on the ball. My work rate was up and it seemed like I was all over the place."

The senior put the Cougars in a hole early with his footwork. Mooney kicked the ball to the middle when Eric Linehan cut off a Cougars pass and scored the first goal in the game's first three minutes. Despite dominating play in the first half and winning most of the balls with Mooney constantly in the mix, the Falcons failed to pad their 1-0 lead.

Chesapeake senior goalkeeper Howie Otto (nine saves) kept his listless teammates in the game with back-to-back spectacular saves midway through the first half.

"They came out a little sluggish and seemed intimidated," Mooney said of the Cougars. "But once they realized it was still a one-goal game, they really picked it up in the second half and we were back on our heels."

Pub Date: 10/28/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.