Top-ranked Curley gets 14th shutout, drops Loyola, 1-0 No. 7 Dons hang tough, but Angelini goal decisive

October 28, 1998|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Marco Angelini scored his 12th goal of the season and Curley's defense, anchored by Steve Novak and Steve Althoff, turned back the opposition for a 1-0 victory at seventh-ranked Loyola yesterday.

No. 1 Curley improved to 14-0-1 (11-0-1 MIAA A Conference), having outscored the opposition, 55-2, with a school-record 14 shutouts. The previous record of nine was established by the 16-0-1 league champion squad of 1993.

The game-winning sequence came six minutes into the second half and began with Althoff, who fired a free kick from his 18-yard line to Tim Waszlavek at the far sideline 30 yards from the Loyola goal. Waszlavek served the ball to Angelini, who one-timed it into the opposite corner of the net after making a run from the left of goalkeeper Shawn Huth (12 saves).

Loyola's defense had played well before the goal, particularly Huth and sweeper Mike Lookingland -- both sophomores -- John Alecci and senior Wes Bollinger.

Late in the first half, Huth dived to his left to snag shots by Brandon Scarfield and Waszlavek, respectively, that seemed destined to land in the net's far corner.

Huth showed why he has nine shutouts, diving or swatting his way to 10 second-half saves -- seven of which were in close. He also pulled down Novak's 30-yard bullet and smothered one-on-one attempts by Santino Quaranta and Dale Roth.

But it was "a miscommunication between me and John Alecci," Huth said, that resulted in Angelini's goal.

"The keeper thought the defender was going to head it out and stayed near the other post," Angelini said. "The goal was wide-open and I tapped it in with my right foot."

With 27 minutes to play, Loyola (14-4-1, 9-4-1) was forced to play a man down after midfielder Nick Micelli, who has nine goals and three assists, received a red card. But the Dons seemed inspired by the ejection and pressured well the rest of the way.

Loyola, however, missed a golden opportunity when Olympic Developmental region team player Marcus Johnson served his penalty kick nearly right into the hands of junior goalkeeper Adam Jackson (three saves).

A first-year starter, Jackson dropped to his knees, grabbed the ball, glanced skyward, and "prayed," he said.

"I said, 'Thank God,' because it came right to me," said the 6-foot-3 Jackson, still in disbelief. "I had to guess one way or the other and I guessed left and that's where he shot it. I only took three or four steps that way, and it just came right to me."

Later, Loyola's Josh Ches, within 10 yards of the net, chipped a bouncing pass over an unprotected portion of the goal.

"I can't say enough about Adam Jackson or our four backs, especially Dave Marcozzi, who came in and replaced Matt Moneymaker [out for the year with a broken foot]," Althoff said. "But these guys [Loyola] are a tough group. They came ready to play and they gave us a run for our money."

Pub Date: 10/28/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.