Randallstown holds off Hereford No. 3 Rams run record to 8-0 by defeating 1A state champs, 28-21

October 24, 1998|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

The Randallstown Rams locked horns with the host Hereford Bulls in a battle of unbeaten teams, and the estimated crowd of nearly 1,800 was treated to perhaps the best Baltimore County game of the season.

The third-ranked Rams (8-0, 7-0) were excellent offensively and defensively in a 28-21 win over a defending Class 1A state champion Bulls team that had won 31 of its past 32 games.

The loss -- in a game that was tied at 7, 14 and 21 -- also ended two other runs by Hereford (7-1, 5-1): a 20-game winning streak overall and a 21-game winning streak in county games. Randallstown, winner of two of the county's four state titles, has won 16 of its past 18 games, including 10 straight against county opponents under second-year coach Bruce Strunk. The Rams' last county loss was to Hereford, 28-6, last year.

"It's been our goal all year to beat them, and it took everything we had to do it," said Marshall Contee, whose third-period interception led to the winning touchdown. "We beat them, and this was for bragging rights."

The interception by Contee (who also had 144 yards and a touchdown) set up James Jegede's 28-yard touchdown reception 54 seconds before the final period from Archie Trader, who also tied the game at 14 on a 14-yard keeper with 5: 29 left in the half.

Randallstown's defense -- led by junior linebacker James Foreman's interception return 14 yards for a touchdown and 21-14 halftime lead -- capitalized on six turnovers by Hereford, which blew three scoring opportunities.

First, Randallstown's Harvey Broadnax recovered a fumble by the Bulls at the Rams' 11. Then Hereford had the ball, third-and-goal at Randallstown's 3 before being penalized and throwing an incomplete pass on fourth down from the 8. Finally, James Foreman recovered a Hereford fumble at the Rams 14 on second-and-one with 1: 58 to play.

"Our coaches told us they're a great team, but if we kept pushing, they'd break down before we did," Foreman said.

Jamal Brown had an interception in the end zone with 43 seconds left in the half, and teammate Rodney Johnson recovered a fumble as part of a Randallstown defense that entered the game with four shutouts and avenged last year's 28-6 loss.

The Bulls, who graduated nearly every starter -- including seven first- or second-team All-Metros -- rallied to win games against Towson, North Carroll and Lansdowne.

Last night, the Bulls turned an early 7-0 deficit into a 14-7 lead with Reg Cavender (70 rushing yards) scoring both times. Cavender tied the game, 7-7, with 5: 53 left in the first period, set up by Todd Leitzel's 80-yard kickoff return to the Randallstown 10. And it was, 14-7, Hereford, with 8: 52 left in the half after Cavender's 2-yard run -- on fourth-and-inches -- capped a 14-play, 58-yard drive.

It was, 21-all with 7: 16 left in the third period after a 2-yard run by Matt Curtis (54 yards rushing) capped a 10-play, 45-yard drive.

Randallstown's Dieter Munz was 4-for-4 on extra-point kicks; Hereford's Pat Devereaux was 3-for-3.

Pub Date: 10/24/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.