Hebron finishes off River Hill No. 10 Vikings struggle against Hawks, escape on Wolkstein goal, 1-0

October 14, 1998|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

At one point in the second half, River Hill coach Martha Henderson dropped to her knees and pounded the ground with both hands.

Her River Hill team was doing everything right. Everything, that is, except score.

"It's so frustrating to play like that and lose," Henderson said after 10th-ranked Mount Hebron used a first-half goal by Lauren Wolkstein for a 1-0 victory yesterday at River Hill. "Finishing has been our problem all year."

River Hill (6-5 overall, 4-2 league) had seven corners and Mount Hebron (7-4, 5-1) none in the first half. And even though the Hawks didn't have any corners in the second half, they kept the ball inside the River Hill 25 most of the time.

"They had a lot of good opportunities, and we were able to escape with our lives," said Mount Hebron coach Jeannette Ireland.

"I'm disappointed with the outcome, but really proud of the way we played," said River Hill junior Kristi Kruger, who came close a few times to tying the game. "We just couldn't punch in a goal, but I think we dominated the game. We really wanted to win. We played our hardest."

It didn't take long to see that Mount Hebron wasn't at its sharpest. "We had a very good warm-up. I thought we were ready," Ireland said. "But we came out so flat."

Ireland called a timeout midway through the first half and took her team to the middle of the field. At one point of her talk, she told her team to "make something happen."

Less than three minutes late, Wolkstein, one of 10 juniors on the team, did just that.

Kate Story took a free hit from the right corner and delivered a solid pass right in front of the cage. Wolkstein's stick and a defender's stick hit the ball at the same time, and the ball went into the air and over the left shoulder of River Hill goalie Carly Jones.

"I just hit it," said Wolkstein. "I didn't know how [the official] was going to call it."

River Hill nearly tied the game in the last minute of the first half when it took four corners. At one point Mount Hebron goalie Katelyn Hoffman was down on her knees protecting the goal.

"I was doing what I could to not let the ball in the cage," Hoffman said. "I wasn't sitting on it."

Hoffman had a busy second half. River Hill, led by midfielders Amanda Bile and Heather Doyle and defenders Dana Rupprecht, Jessica Weeks and Kate Kelley, controlled the game. River Hill got its first and only corner with four minutes remaining.

"We pulled it out," said Hoffman, who got strong defensive help from back Jennifer Donatelli. "The important thing is that they didn't score, no matter how ugly we looked."

Ireland said she kept waiting for the Vikings to regroup, but that it only happened in spurts.

River Hill's play certainly contributed to Mount Hebron's ineffectiveness. The Hawks were aggressive from the start and never quit.

"It's definitely one of our stronger games of the year," Henderson said. "We definitely stepped up, but not nearly enough to where we want to go. Someone has to get angry and punch it in."

Pub Date: 10/14/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.