Rafalski's four TDs help Bel Air drench Aberdeen by 43-6 Bobcats' quarterback runs for 202 yards in rainy game

October 10, 1998|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Bel Air made its point.

The fourth-ranked Bobcats entered last night's game with No. 8 Aberdeen determined to show they belonged in the same class with the visiting Eagles, who had won or shared the Harford County title the past five years.

Bel Air quarterback Adam Rafalski was the hammer in driving that point home, running for 202 yards and four touchdowns as the Bobcats routed Aberdeen, 43-6, in a Harford County game.

The victory in heavy rain improved Bel Air to 6-0 overall (5-0 in the county), one of the best starts in school history. The Bobcats also played Aberdeen last year, when they were 5-0, but the Eagles (4-2, 4-1 this season) blanked them, 21-0, that night.

This game was different.

"We looked past the pressure, because this one was about paybacks," said Rafalski. "Tonight, we wanted to erase all doubt. Whatever questions there were, we answered them."

Rafalski scored on runs of 46, 14 and 65 yards plus a 2-yard sneak on fourth-and-goal in the third quarter.

The Bobcats dominated every aspect of this game, gaining 336 yards overall, all on the ground, as its offensive line opened huge holes. Bel Air runs the wishbone, and guard Tony Cavallio and tackle Andy Rohrbaugh made life easy for Rafalski and running backs Justin Amrein (53 yards), Jimmy Brown and Kyle George.

Aberdeen couldn't gain anything. The rain stopped the Eagles from passing, and they ended with minus-10 yards total offense, usually going three plays and out.

"If we could have established the passing game, we might have stung them a little bit," said Aberdeen wide receiver Stephon Watson, a pre-season Super Prep All-American. "But they gave 100 percent, we gave 100 percent, and the better team won."

The Eagles' touchdown came when Chuck Faison returned the second half's kickoff 82 yards.

The game was halted for 21 minutes early in the second half because of an injury to Aberdeen's Tommy Warner in a pile-up near midfield. Both teams were sent to their locker rooms while he was treated and an ambulance came to take him to Fallston General Hospital. After an examination, he was released before midnight.

Aberdeen's other loss, 13-6 in overtime, came against No. 2 Eastern Tech earlier this season.

Bel Air's defense now has been unscored on since its opener, a 27-21 victory over Class 3A state champion Wilde Lake.

Bel Air jumped on top quickly in this game, driving 59 yards on its first possession and scoring on Jimmy Brown's 1-yard run. A wild snap on the Aberdeen punt, on the next series, went through the end zone for a safety and an 8-0 lead.

After Aberdeen's free kick, Rafalski stretched it to 15-0 one play later on a slick 46-yard run. He made it 23-0 in second quarter by slogging through several large puddles to score from 14 yards for a 23-0 halftime lead.

Pub Date: 10/10/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.