Overtime goal gives Hammond first win over Eagles in decade, 3-2 Jenkins beats whistle, and Bears stay unbeaten

October 10, 1998|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

Martha Bielefeld could have taken a shot. Instead, the Hammond junior midfielder passed on the play.

"I saw Michelle [Jenkins] wide open in front of the goal," said Bielefeld. "I decided to give a through pass to her."

Jenkins took the pass and lifted the ball past Centennial nTC goalkeeper Erica Neiman. The goal -- with one second left in the first, 10-minute overtime period -- earned the eighth-ranked Golden Bears a 3-2 Howard County victory over the visiting, 11th-ranked Eagles.

"It's been nine years since we've beaten them," said Hammond coach Peter Di Marco. "They've been a thorn in our back, and now it's off. I'm really happy for our girls. They deserve it."

Said Bielefeld: "We feel so good. We knew what we had to do; we knew we were the better team."

Hammond (7-0-1 overall, 4-0 league) controlled the overtime period and forced a corner kick with 39 seconds left. Bielefeld took the kick from the left side of the goal, and the ball rebounded to her. She dribbled toward the goal, then found Jenkins unmarked right in front.

"I took [the pass] out of the air, took another touch and chipped it over her," said Jenkins, one of eight senior Hammond starters.

Centennial sophomore goalkeeper Erin Neiman, who had a solid game, gave Hammond credit for the victory. But she felt strongly that Jenkins was offside on the winning goal.

"All my teammates were at the 6, and she was right in front of me," Neiman said. "He [the official] had been making the right offside calls all game. Up till that point, they were good refs."

Hammond was called offside six times in the first half. And though those calls "took us out of our rhythm," said Di Maraco, the Golden Bears led 1-0 at halftime on a goal by Jen Hendin.

Ashley Evans evened the game for Centennial (6-3, 3-1) on a nice cross from Stacie Tokasz with 28: 21 left in regulation.

Excellent plays from defender Sarah Walker and keeper Lindsey Mitchell prevented Centennial from scoring. Then Katie Fink put the Golden Bears ahead, 2-1, running down an arching pass from Monica Serianni and kicking left-footed into the far side of the net.

Two minutes later, with 12: 19 left, Alexia Vogler tied it.

"We played well," said Centennial coach Mike Senisi. "It was a good game, and we had our chances. We're going to be competitive in every game, and we showed that."

Pub Date: 10/10/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.