Centennial, Hammond will try again today Official a no-show, forcing postponement

Field hockey

October 07, 1998|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

Instead of coaching their top-15 teams in a battle for first place, Centennial's Gail Purcell and Hammond's Gay Petrlik spent yesterday afternoon officiating the JV game between their schools.

That's what happens when officials don't show up.

One official did arrive at Hammond thirty minutes after the scheduled 3: 30 p.m. start. But because the game has county title implications, both coaches wanted two officials. After a 45-minute wait, a decision was made to play the JV game, and postpone the varsity game to 3: 30 today.

Oralee Smith, the commissioner/assigner of the Howard/Carroll county board of officials, said last night that she hadn't been able to reach either official who was assigned to the Centennial-Hammond game.

"I'm not sure what happened," Smith said.

Smith, who teaches at Westminster Middle School in Carroll County, said she is bothered by what happened.

"It concerns me very much," Smith said. "We're being paid for this service and when my officials say they're going to be there, they need to be there. When they're not, it makes the board look bad and it makes people upset, and rightly so."

Coaches and players from both teams expressed their frustration yesterday.

"I've never waited a half-hour for an official in 22 years of coaching," said Purcell, whose ninth-ranked Eagles are 6-2 overall and 3-0 in the county. "It's very frustrating."

"This is a big game," said Hammond senior Mandy Schroeder, whose 13th-ranked team is 5-0-1 overall and 3-0 in the league. "It's very disappointing."

This is the third time this season that officials haven't been on time for a Hammond game. When the Golden Bears played at Glenelg, the game started with one official. An official who was on vacation and came to watch the game was asked to officiate and did so. When Hammond played at Mount Hebron last week, the game started 30 minutes late because they wouldn't start with only one official.

"[Coming late] seems to be a big problem and I'm not happy about it," Smith said. "I have to talk to the officials, and if they're not giving me legitimate reasons, we can fine them or pull their schedules."

Purcell, whose team played Howard this season with one official, helped officiate the first half of yesterday's JV game with the one official who did show up. Petrlik helped officiate the second half.

Pub Date: 10/07/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.