Experienced Mount Hebron overwhelms Wilde Lake, 5-0 Boys soccer

October 07, 1998|By Lowell E. Sunderland | Lowell E. Sunderland,SUN STAFF

Mount Hebron proved once more yesterday the adage that experienced teams rarely lose to green teams -- pun intended, given young Wilde Lake's green uniforms for its trip to Route 99 in Ellicott City.

It was just that the Wildecats -- with seven sophomores on the roster -- could not cope with the veteran, No. 4-ranked Vikings, who gave them a 5-0 lesson in the control that purposeful attacking and team defense can provide.

Mount Hebron (7-1 overall, 3-0 league) got its sixth straight shutout. Four Vikings scored and three had assists, plus Hebron benefited from a Wilde Lake own goal.

Things might have been worse, in fact, except that Wilde Lake's third goalkeeper, Jeff Bright, a midfielder on the roster, dove left to stop a late penalty kick by John White, who had been taken down in the box.

That save was one of few positive moments for the No. 9 Wildecats (3-3, 1-2), who got some interesting offensive flashes, but no threats, from sophomores Michael Dello-Russo and Dan Solee.

Wilde Lake's first -- and only, really -- dangerous shot occurred in the 22nd minute. Junior midfielder Forrest Watson fired 16 yards from the box's left top, sending Vikings goalkeeper Greg Peters diving to snag it at his right post.

"They lost a lot of seniors last year; we got most everybody back," said Hebron coach Scott Conroy, a Wilde Lake alumnus and former JV coach.

Wildecats coach Dave Nesbitt, minus 11 seniors from last year's Class 3A state champions, was characteristically direct after saying Conroy "has done a good job" with the Vikings.

"Not only are we young, but we don't play well," Nesbitt said. "That about sums it up. We have a long way to go."

Mount Hebron established command in just five minutes. Settling a contested pop-up right of Wilde Lake's goal, Hebron's Matt Midura crossed cooly from near the baseline back into the middle to White for the first goal.

After a long stretch of patchy play, disaster struck Wilde Lake in the 36th minute -- an own goal from 4 yards when Vikings senior David Lechtrecker's hard cross from deep on the left ricocheted off a Wilde Lake defender's leg, making the halftime score 2-0.

Less than a minute into the second half, the Vikings turned an uncommon indirect kick inside the penalty box into a 3-0 lead and destroyed what heart the Wildecats had left. As Lechtrecker broke fast into the box's left with the ball, two Wildecats pinched him down, drawing an obstruction call.

Lechtrecker squared the two-touch free kick about 3 yards right to Midura, who rifled home a 10-yard shot past the eight-man Wildecats wall.

The Vikings' Pete Lindahl's lovely, 25-yard run with the ball, deking senior goalkeeper Alejandro Gironas to the turf 12 yards from the goal, made it 4-0 in the 62nd minute. Junior Joel Snook iced the win with a 12-yard goal about two minutes from the end.

Pub Date: 10/07/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.