Buck stops at Towson law firm Deer disrupts businesses on wild run through town

October 07, 1998|By Dail Willis and Larry Carson | Dail Willis and Larry Carson,SUN STAFF

A deer ran through Towson streets yesterday for nearly an hour, dodging in and out of buildings and garages before jumping through a window in the old courthouse, cutting himself and startling employees.

The eight-point, 180-pound buck fled the courthouse to the lobby of a law firm, where police trapped him and a veterinarian sedated and euthanized him.

The deer was first seen on the Towson roundabout about 12:45 p.m., said police spokesman Bill Toohey. He said two police detectives were passing through the roundabout when the deer appeared in traffic.

The deer ran west on Allegheny Avenue and into a two-story parking garage at Pennsylvania and Washington avenues, then leapt across an alley and down to the old courthouse.

Stephen Myer, a buyer in the county's purchasing office, was eating lunch when the buck crashed through the window of his small cubicle.

"I was doing some work and eating crackers," said Myers, who said he remained calm but quickly left the cubicle.

The deer caused some consternation elsewhere in the normally sedate office, which buys everything from paint to cars for Baltimore County.

"I was at my desk and heard the boom and the crash," said Carol Humphreys, an office assistant who works nearby. She ran out of her cubicle and saw the deer.

"His tongue was bleeding and he tried to turn. When I ran over there, he was standing at the mouth of the cubicle. We blocked it with chairs and he turned and jumped back out the window."

The deer, bleeding heavily from wounds caused by glass from the shattered window, ran along the courthouse fence to 210 Allegheny Ave., where he pushed open (but did not break) heavy rTC glass doors and entered the lobby of Venable Baetjer and Howard.

"We thought it was a car coming through," said office administrator Patricia Benesch.

Pursued by police, the deer ran into the law firm's reception area and began ramming a glass door at the back in an effort to get out. It thrashed about the lobby, Benesch said, until police roped it and a veterinarian sedated it.

The deer had deep cuts on its face, chin and chest, said Dr. John Fioramonti, the veterinarian called by police to treat it.

"I was able to pop a tranquilizer into him very quickly," Fioramonti said. When the deer had quieted, Fioramonti and officials from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources were able to see how badly it was hurt.

"It was in pain and in shock. The only humane thing to do was to put him to sleep," Fioramonti said.

The deer's body was carried out of the lobby and to a DNR facility, he said.

Pub Date: 10/07/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.