Hat trick by Abbey boosts Chesapeake over Broadneck, 4-1 Striker assists, too, as Cougars lift record to 6-1

Boys soccer

September 24, 1998|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

The Chesapeake plan for last night's game at Broadneck was to keep the ball on the ground. That's obviously how senior striker Dustin Abey likes to play it.

Abey scored three goals and added an assist as the No. 10-ranked Cougars one-touched their way past Broadneck, 4-1.

Chesapeake improved to 6-1 on the season and remains perfect in the county at 4-0. Broadneck fell to 3-3 overall and 1-3 in the county.

"Sometimes kids panic a little and just bang the ball. This week, we stressed getting the ball to feet and creating things. It looked good tonight," said Chesapeake coach Earl Eckhardt.

And it looked good early.

The Cougars got a goal in the game's seventh minute, when Abey returned a quick give-and-go to sophomore Mike Jungerheld, who found the lower right corner from 15 yards for a 1-0 lead.

Abey, who didn't seem to have a bad touch all game, took care of the finishing part in the game's second 40-minute half.

He scored three straight goals as the Cougars took a 4-0 lead before Broadneck got its only goal from Jeremy Heroine in the closing minutes.

"When we keep the ball on the ground, we're dangerous. It keeps the game simple and makes things happen," said Abey, a second-team All-State performer last fall who has four goals and four assists this season.

Eckhardt said a little patience paid off for Abey last night.

"He's been pressing some, and I told him to just let the game come to [him]. He got some opportunities last night and took advantage of them," he said."

pTC Broadneck had some opportunities to get back in the game after Chesapeake took the early one-goal lead but couldn't get anything past Cougar senior keeper Howie Otto.

The Bruins' best first-half chance came in the 21st minute, when Kelly Nash lofted a shot for the far post only to see Otto barely touch it up and off the crossbar.

Early in the second half, Ben Ashby had two tries off a cross from Jon Parisi but couldn't finish.

Abey took over from there, scoring his first goal in the 54thminute and adding another 10 minutes later. With seven minutes to play, he beat two defenders and completed the hat trick on a shot to the lower right corner.

"Chesapeake is one of the top teams in the county, and it gives us a chance to see where we stand," said Broadneck coach Jonathan Braun. "We're playing good in stretches but haven't been able to play consistently for an entire game. We still have some work to do, so we'll get back to work on some things."

Braun couldn't find any answers for shutting down Abey.

"We tried to put a lot of men between him and the goal," he said. "He did a nice job of taking the ball and beating them."

Pub Date: 9/24/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.