Threadgill rushes 3-0 Broadneck past Arundel, 25-13 Back has 2 TDs, 155 yards

2nd-half safety, field goal ice victory for Bruins

September 19, 1998|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Martel Threadgill's importance to his team's offense was never more evident than it was last night in Cape St. Claire as No. 11-ranked Broadneck escaped with a 25-13 victory over Arundel.

Threadgill, a 5-foot-6, 170-pound running back, ran for two touchdowns and 99 of his 155 yards in the first half as the Bruins (3-0) built a 20-13 halftime lead.

Tremayne Williams scored the other first-half touchdown for Broadneck on a 26-yard run.

Arundel (0-3) scored both of its touchdowns in the first half on a 28-yard run by Domenic Greco (14-for-124 rushing) and a 31-yard pass from Jason Carter to Brandon Harris. Harris led an inspired Arundel defense in the second half.

The teams played to a defensive standstill with Broadneck scoring the only five points in the last two periods -- on a safety and a 27-yard field goal by Brian Williams.

Harris (three sacks, 10 tackles) enabled the Cats to limit Threadgill to just 26 yards in the third period, but by that time the damage had been done.

It was the first time that Threadgill and the Bruin seniors tasted victory over the Wildcats, who had won the last three games between the schools. Last fall, Threadgill had 107 yards rushing, but the Wildcats kept him off the scoreboard in a 27-17 victory.

They couldn't keep the speedy, elusive back out of the end zone last night, though, as the Bruins evened a series that began in 1987 at six wins each.

The game was stopped twice in the final 4 1/2 minutes when two Arundel players went down. Jeff Blachly was down with a neck injury, and lay on the field while the referees ordered both teams to return to their benches.

Blachly later walked over to his sideline with assistance and said he was OK a few moments later. He walking around when the game ended.

On the kickoff following Williams' game-clinching field goal with 2: 37 left, the Wildcats Andy Mylnarski lay on his back motionless. Mylnarski was taken by ambulance to the Annapolis Medical center as a precaution.

An Arundel team doctor said Mylnarski had pain in his back.

The Wildcats had lost their returning All-County defensive end, Mike Parker, to a painful back after the first half. Parker had one quarterback sack before becoming a second half spectator.

Pub Date: 9/19/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.