Madej leads Spalding to upset win Scrappy senior has hand in all scoring as Cavaliers top Mt. St. Joe in OT, 4-2

Boys soccer

September 16, 1998|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

After 80 minutes of regulation and an additional 20 minutes of extra time yesterday at Mount St. Joe's, senior Bryan Madej had BTC a role in all the goals for No. 14-ranked Spalding as the Cavaliers left with a 4-2 upset win over the No. 8 Gaels in both teams' MIAA A Conference opener.

Madej scored his fifth and sixth goals of the season in regulation -- offsetting a strong two-goal effort by Gaels senior Paul Harris -- and played a key role in both of Spalding's overtime goals.

A gutty defensive effort down the stretch took care of the rest as the Cavaliers improved to 4-1 on the season. Junior Chris DeHenzel, a relative newcomer to the goal, finished the afternoon with 13 saves and senior midfielder David Florez did a fine job clearing balls in the overtime sessions.

"If we work hard, we know we'll be in games," Spalding coach Rick Carlson said. "If we're patient, give efforts like this and continue to work in things, we'll win our share. I believe in my team. They don't quit."

Medej is the only regular starter back from last year's group that reached the league championship game, but plenty of players are stepping up.

Six minutes into the first overtime period, senior Pat Blair found some room along the right side before finding Madej making a run in the middle. Madej was taken down by Gaels keeper Devan Spilker in the penalty area, setting up a successful penalty kick from Florez.

Blair, who also enjoyed a fine game up top for the Cavaliers, added an insurance goal late in the second overtime on a rebound from a Madej shot.

For the Gaels, the opportunities were there -- they outshot the Cavaliers 26-9, according to their book -- but there wasn't enough finishing at their end.

"We left everything out there on the field," Mount coach Mike St. Martin said. "I'm disappointed with the loss getting that many opportunities and we can't give up that many goals."

Madej got the scoring started early in the first half when he stole a ball at midfield and beat two defenders before cutting to the middle of the field and scoring from 15 yards out.

Harris, who dominated stretches of regulation play, provided the Gaels (2-2) with a 2-1 lead, scoring goals in both halves.

His header off a David Kirby corner kick got the Gaels even 15 minutes into the first half and he scored his second 16 minutes into the second half with the Gaels seemingly in control. Madej and the Cavaliers had other ideas.

"We know there's 80 minutes to a game and we're going to play them all out," Madej said. "We worked our butts off the entire way and it was a great comeback. This was a great team effort."

Madej got the game even at 2 a little past the midway point of the second half, collecting a a ball sent in by Florez and finishing prmptly.

After the Cavaliers took the 3-2 lead in overtime, the Gaels did all they could to find the equalizer, but couldn't. DeHenzel made a diving save on a shot from Kirby that was headed for the lower far post. A little later, the Gaels had three straight corner kicks with the last opportunity cleared off the line by Florez.

Pub Date: 9/16/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.