Wilde Lake passing drops Oakland Mills QB Smith out-duels friend Welsh in 27-13 win

September 13, 1998|By Edward Lee | Edward Lee,SUN STAFF

Wilde Lake's Seth Smith has known T. J. Welsh of Oakland Mills since they were both 7 years old and played Little League together. But they never faced off against each other in football until yesterday.

Unveiling a little-used passing attack, the No. 9 Wildecats broke open a tie game in the second half and beat county rival Oakland Mills, 27-13.

With the win, the defending Class 3A state champions improved to 1-1 and made it three straight victories over the Scorpions, who dropped to 1-1.

Smith was the difference as he completed seven of 13 passes for 89 yards and one touchdown. Welsh was 9-for-19 for 126 yards and a touchdown, but he also threw an interception and was repeatedly tagged by Wildecats linebackers.

"This is the first time we played against each other because this is my first year starting and he's been starting the past three years," said Smith of his rival quarterback. "It's a friendly competition."

Smith said the team practiced passing drills after he threw only twice in last Friday's 27-21 upset loss to Bel Air.

"Seth stepped it up and that's what he has to do," said Wilde Lake coach Doug DuVall. "He's a senior and a leader on this team."

"We had a real tough week of practice," Smith said. "What coach said to us was that we had to bounce back from that loss. We came out focused."

Wilde Lake started strong with a 58-yard drive that consumed 8: 22 of the first quarter, but it could not punch the ball in despite four tries from the 7.

After the Oakland Mills' defense stripped sophomore running back Kye Snell at Wilde Lake's 22-yard line, Welsh connected on a 22-yard pass to senior wide receiver Thomas Browne (five catches for 100 yards) for a 7-0 lead with 10: 34 left in the second quarter.

On the next possession, though, the Wildecats took advantage of a roughing-the-passer penalty to tie it on a 3-yard touchdown plunge by senior running back Danny Bayron (13 rushes for 44 yards).

Oakland Mills promptly regained the lead when senior fullback Julian Barfield plowed two yards for a touchdown with 1: 12 left in the second quarter. Although Welsh missed the extra-point attempt, his 45-yard pass to Browne was the highlight of the drive.

But Smith's 5-yard pass to Snell concluded a five-play, 53-yard drive with two seconds left in the half to tie it at 13.

It was all Wilde Lake in the second half as the team capitalized on a fumble recovery on the opening kickoff and senior running back Jimmy Levans (16 rushes for 108 yards) running for 10- and 52-yard touchdowns.

The Wildecats also knocked Welsh out of the game for a few minutes with several questionable tackles after the ball was thrown.

Oakland Mills coach Ken Hovet refused to use Welsh's injury as an excuse.

"We gave them too many opportunities," Hovet said. "I felt that we gave the game away. I wish we could play them again."

River Hill 10, Long Reach 9: Jason Fawcett's 1-yard touchdown run with 4: 43 left in the fourth quarter helped the host Hawks (2-0) topple the Lightning (1-1). Fawcett's run capped a 55-yard drive and was set up by a 10-yard pass from Steven Glasgow to Justin Curtis.

Mount Hebron 39, Atholton 6: Senior Jerry Hicks scored five touchdowns and ran for 163 yards on 19 carries as the host Vikings (1-1) rolled over the Raiders (1-1). Mount Hebron finished with 339 total yards offense to Atholton's 122.

Glenelg 26, Hammond 0: Maurice Mohammad ran for 131 yards and two touchdowns as the visiting Gladiators (1-1) shut down the Bears (0-2). Mohammad scored on runs of 26 and 15 yards. David Williams rushed 10 times for 51 yards and a touchdown to help Glenelg to a 13-0 halftime lead.

Pub Date: 9/13/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.