Hesitant Hereford finishes N. Carroll, 21-12 Final quarter, 7-minute drive clinches for Bulls

September 12, 1998|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Senior Luke Gilbert scored a touchdown and had three jTC interceptions as host Hereford recovered from its second straight agonizingly slow start to beat North Carroll, 21-12, last night.

The win came one week after the Bulls (2-0) rallied from a 16-0 deficit to score the final 33 points against Towson.

"One thing is for sure: These kids don't ever tuck in their tails when they're losing," said Bulls coach Steve Turnbaugh. "We've been behind the first two games, but it just doesn't seem to bother them."

Despite gaining just 120 yards on the ground, the defending Class 1A state champions, who averaged over 400 a game on the ground a year ago, methodically wore down the Panthers.

Moments after North Carroll pulled to within two points on Ryan Vogel's 90-yard touchdown run, Hereford embarked on a seven-minute scoring drive that put the game out of reach.

"That was big," said Turnbaugh of the drive that culminated with Sean Wdwoiak's 5-yard touchdown pass to tight end Rob Bateman, making the score 21-12 with 2: 57 remaining.

In the game's early moments, North Carroll looked dominating.

The Panthers defense sacked Hereford quarterback Chris Lauer three times in the Bulls' first two possessions and didn't allow a yard until the sixth play.

After holding Hereford to three-and-out in the game's opening series, the Panthers (1-1) put together a 10-play drive that ended with Justin Reynor's 26-yard touchdown strike over the middle to wide-open Steve Suter, making the score 6-0 with 5: 10 left in the first quarter.

In the second quarter, Hereford began to turn the tide.

Led by the running of Ryan Vogel and Matt Curtis, the Bulls put together a 10-play drive of their own, ending with Reg Cavender's 3-yard touchdown plunge. With Pat DeVereux's extra point, Hereford had a 7-6 lead with 8: 04 left in the half.

The hosts added another score just before halftime, this one on Wdwoiak's 4-yard touchdown pass to Gilbert, to extend the lead to 14-6 with 13 seconds remaining.

After gaining just 13 yards in the opening quarter, Hereford gained 109 in the second.

"Once we click, we're fine," said Gilbert.

But with a single play, North Carroll climbed back into the game. Suter took a handoff, started up the middle, cut right and took off down the sideline for a 90-yard touchdown to pull the Panthers to within two.

A two-point conversion attempt failed.

Pub Date: 9/12/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.