Fumes sicken 17 at Harper's Choice Middle Teacher, pupils treated at hospital, released

roofing work blamed

September 03, 1998|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A teacher and 16 pupils from Harper's Choice Middle School '' were treated at Howard County General Hospital yesterday and released after inhaling fumes that apparently leaked into their classroom from the school's roof.

School officials and firefighters said the fumes came from a mix ++ of solvents and other chemicals being used by workers repairing the roof of the west Columbia school.

Howard County schools spokeswoman Patti Caplan said the use of such chemicals during school hours violates school policy. She said the incident is under investigation.

Caplan said the students and a teacher started feeling "lightheaded and woozy" about 10: 45 a.m. and were taken to the hospital for evaluation.

The school was evacuated at 11: 45 a.m., the building was aired out and pupils were allowed to return about an hour later, said Lt. Jeff Loomis of the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services.

Pub Date: 9/03/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.