Hardee's restaurant in Glen Burnie held up twice in 3 days Manager hands over cash, customer robbed in car

August 25, 1998|By Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan | Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan,SUN STAFF

A Hardee's restaurant in Glen Burnie was the target of two armed robberies in three days, when a manager was forced to hand over cash Saturday morning and a man was held up at the drive-through window early Monday, police said.

"It is unusual that a fast-food restaurant would be targeted twice in the same weekend," said police spokeswoman Officer Carol Frye. "Police are looking at the possibility that they could be linked."

Tracey Cullison, a manager at the restaurant in the 1600 block of Crain Highway, said closed-circuit cameras were installed Saturday after the first armed robbery, and an overnight security guard was hired after the second incident.

The first robbery occurred just after 6: 10 a.m. Saturday when a man armed with a small black handgun jumped over the counter and ran into the restaurant's back office, police said. After the man forced a 21-year-old manager, whom police declined to identify, to open the safe and hand over an undisclosed amount of money, the man fled in a gray four-door car driven by an accomplice, police said.

The vehicle was last seen heading north on Crain Highway, police said. They said the suspect was a thin, black man about 5-feet-4, with a gold front tooth and a stocking covering his face. He was wearing black pants, black shoes and a plaid shirt, police said. They did not have a description of his accomplice.

On Monday just after 12: 40 a.m., Richard Priddy, 26, of Glen Burnie, ordered food and had just pulled up to the drive-through window when a man walked up to the driver's side window, pointed a gun at Priddy and demanded money, police said. After the suspect grabbed the $10 bill Priddy had in his hand, he grabbed Priddy's wallet, police said.

When the suspect didn't find any money in the wallet, he threw it back at Priddy and ran, police said. The suspect was wearing a black ski mask and a bright yellow shirt, police said.

Cullison said the restaurant was robbed about two years ago, around Christmas. The robberies also have prompted the restaurant to change its opening hours, Cullison said. Before this weekend, the restaurant was open from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m., with the drive-through open 24 hours. Yesterday, employees began opening at 6 a.m.

"We don't feel it's safe to open the doors at 5 in the morning since the [first] robbery," Cullison said. "We just feel it's safer after 6."

Pub Date: 8/25/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.