Man's body found in Gunpowder River Victim matches description of missing fisherman

August 20, 1998|By Dail Willis | Dail Willis,SUN STAFF

A body washed up at the mouth of the Gunpowder River yesterday afternoon that matched the description of a Cockeysville man who disappeared on the river Tuesday night.

Reginald Grier, 31, of the first block of Hogarth Circle was reported missing to the Coast Guard about 8: 30 p.m. Tuesday, said Lt. j.g. Toni Gay. Grier's wife, who expected him back from a fishing trip about 5 p.m., became concerned when he had not returned by nightfall.

Coast Guard and Maryland Natural Resources Police boats and aircraft searched until 1 a.m. yesterday, then resumed the search at dawn, she said.

Grier's boat, an 18-foot Sea Ray, was found Tuesday night on a sandbar off Maxwell Point, near Aberdeen Proving Ground, said Coast Guard and Army officials. The keys were in the ignition, and the boat was in neutral gear, Gay said. Grier's possessions were on board, she aid.

The search resumed at first light, Gay said, and at 12: 35 p.m., a Coast Guard crew from Curtis Bay found the body of a man in the Gunpowder River less than three miles south of where the boat was discovered. He was not wearing a life jacket, the Coast Guard said.

"It matched the description of the person we were looking for," Gay said. But she and officials at the state medical examiner's office in Baltimore, where the body was taken, said no official identification could be made until an autopsy was completed today.

The Coast Guard, Aberdeen Proving Ground, the state natural resources police and local agencies joined in the search. The area included the Gunpowder and Middle rivers, Seneca Creek and the Chesapeake Bay toward the Eastern Shore near Swan Point and north to Fairlee Creek.

Pub Date: 8/20/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.