If you're planning a foray into online dating, making a good first written impression is important. Here are some tips from veterans that can speed online romance.
From Trish McDermott, resident online dating maven at Match.com:
* Use your spell checker.
* When people have only a few sentences in which to gauge you, you'd better watch your grammar.
* Be positive and optimistic.
* Show your sense of humor. Don't just say you have a sense of humor, actually display it.
* Avoid coming across as desperate, needy and lonely. You don't want to give the impression that you're broken and you need to be fixed.
* Describe a full, happy life that has room for someone else in it.
* Take advantage of the profile makeover services offered by many online matchmaking sites. A profile makeover specialist can open up your profile for member feedback and then help you revise and rework it.
From Nancy Capulet, author of "Putting Your Heart Online":
* Sell yourself. Grab their attention. Show your personality and passions.
4 * Be honest, be specific and tell what you want.
* Sometimes less is more - don't reveal too much too soon.
Pub Date: 8/17/98