Storck defends in City Am Druzgala a 4-time runner-up

Winner loses 4-shot lead, recovers with two pars

August 03, 1998|By John W. Stewart | John W. Stewart,SUN STAFF

Larry Storck, who had a four-shot lead evaporate in a three-hole stretch on the back nine, recovered enough to par the last two holes and escape with a one-stroke victory in the 44th annual Baltimore City Amateur championship at the Elkridge Club yesterday.

Storck, from the Country Club of Maryland, became the fifth player in tournament history to win successive titles, finishing with a 2-over-par 73, and a 36-hole total of 145.

Jamie Geilenkirchen, from Hunt Valley Golf Club, who had started one shot back, and was tied at the 18th, saw his bid shattered with a shot out of bounds. He ended with 74 for 147.

Adrian Druzgala, of Hobbit's Glen Golf Club, became a four-time runner-up when he squeezed between them with the only sub-par score of the weekend, a 70, to finish at 146.

While Druzgala was making a charge that included a three-birdie back-nine 32, most of the attention was centered on Storck and Geilenkirchen.

When Storck turned in 1-under-par 35, it gave him a three-stroke margin, and after scrambling for a remarkable par with a 40-yard shot under trees onto the green at the 12th, and gaining a shot at the 13th, the gap was four.

From there, the leader missed three straight greens for bogeys, while Geilenkirchen was going par-par-birdie, nailing an 8-foot putt at the 16th to get even. Pars at the 17th sent them to the decisive last hole.

"It's the most patience I've ever had on a golf course," said Storck, who earlier this summer went to the final of the Maryland State Amateur. "There were no mental mistakes. I stayed under the hole both rounds, and had no three-putts in the 36 holes."

Pub Date: 8/03/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.