Ferdinand E. Fidati, 76, managed Woolworth storesFerdinand...

July 25, 1998

Ferdinand E. Fidati, 76, managed Woolworth stores

Ferdinand E. Fidati, who managed stores for F. W. Woolworth Co. for nearly four decades, died Sunday at the University of Maryland Medical Center of complications after heart surgery. He was 76 and lived in Rodgers Forge.

Mr. Fidati joined the retailer in Philadelphia in 1947 and managed stores there and in New Jersey and Chicago before he moved to Baltimore in 1964.

In the late 1970s, he managed Woolco stores in Prince George's County and then the store on Eastern Avenue in Baltimore. He retired in 1986.

Known as Ferd, he was an avid golfer and coached youth football and baseball for many years. He was a board member of the Idlewylde Recreation Council.

He was born in Olyphant, Pa., raised in Scranton, Pa., and earned a bachelor's degree from Penn State University.

During World War II, he served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific and was discharged with the rank of sergeant in 1947.

Mr. Fidati was a communicant of Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church, Baltimore and Ware avenues, Towson, where a Mass of Christian burial was offered Thursday.

He is survived by his wife of 43 years, the former Esther Anderson; four sons, Francis E. Fidati, Christopher N. Fidati and Mark X. Fidati, all of Baltimore, and Kevin R. Fidati of Atlanta; a daughter, Julie Anne Sullivan of Atlanta; two sisters, Marie Flaherty of Scranton and Agnes Senn of Montecito, Calif.; and 10 grandchildren.

Virginia Johannesen Jones, 84, bookkeeper

Virginia Johannesen Jones, a Baltimore bookkeeper and accountant, died Wednesday of cancer at the Gilchrist Center ++ for Hospice Care in Towson. The Towson resident was 84.

The former Virginia Johannesen graduated from the old Eastern High School in 1931 and attended the Maryland Institute, College of Art.

She worked several jobs as a bookkeeper or accountant, including positions at the old Eastern Stainless Steel Co. in the 1940s and at Loyola High School, where she worked from 1979 until she retired in 1983.

She married James W. Jones in the 1960s. He died in 1993.

She enjoyed gardening and needlepoint, and was a member of Friends of McKim, a volunteer program that helped raise money for underprivileged youths.

Services are scheduled for 3 p.m. tomorrow at Govans Presbyterian Church, 5828 York Road.

Mrs. Jones is survived by a son, Harvey G. Alexander III of Baltimore; a daughter, Ethel Alexander Vickery of Flanders, N.J.; a brother, Bernard Johannesen of Glen Burnie; and five grandchildren.

Patricia French Marsh, 66, Howard County homemaker

Patricia French Marsh, a homemaker and longtime Howard County resident, died Tuesday of cancer at her home. She was 66.

A Baltimore native, the former Patricia French graduated from Towson High School in 1949 and married Sewell R. Marsh in 1951. The couple lived in Govans in Northeast Baltimore before moving to Tennessee in 1952.

They returned to Maryland in 1965, living in Simpsonville, Howard County, where they settled.

Mrs. Marsh enjoyed sewing and was a longtime member of Christ Memorial Presbyterian Church, 6410 Amherst Ave. in Columbia, where a memorial is planned for 1 p.m. Aug. 1.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by two sons, James Scott Marsh of Eldersburg and Stuart Blaine Marsh of Columbia; a daughter, Kerry Ann Yodzis of Ellicott City; a sister, Cassandra F. Naugle of Los Angeles; and 10 grandchildren.

Edward Francis Dunn Jr., 61, tavern owner

Edward Francis Dunn Jr., a former Pasadena tavern owner and a lifelong Maryland resident, died yesterday of cancer at his Pasadena home. He was 61.

Mr. Dunn was born in Baltimore and graduated from Calvert Hall High School in 1954. He worked at the old Continental Can Co. from 1954 until 1982, when he began operation of the Woodland Beach Inn, a tavern and restaurant in Pasadena.

He was a member of several local social clubs, including the Sandpipers, the Oakie Dokie Club and the Old Bastard's Club.

Services are scheduled for 10 a.m. Monday at St. Jane Frances Dechantel Church, 8513 St. Jane Drive in Riviera Beach.

He is survived by his wife, the former Jackie Marion Solesbee, whom he married in 1956; two sons, Edward F. Dunn III of Queenstown and Gary P. Dunn of Pasadena; three daughters, Jacqueline A. Schultz, Deborah S. Hathaway and Michele L. McDonald, all of Pasadena; three sisters, Mary Frances McNeir of Baltimore, and Geraldine Herold and Ellen Schillenberg, both of Pasadena; and 10 grandchildren.

Adalbert Paul Baran, 76, Fort Meade housing chief

Adalbert Paul Baran, a retired Army officer who was chief of housing at Fort Meade, died of cancer Sunday at home in Odenton. He was 76.

During World War II, he was inducted into the Army in 1942 and served in Europe. After the war, he was a military policeman in Japan, Germany, Korea and the United States, including Fort Meade. He was discharged with the rank of major in 1963 and entered the Civil Service. He served as chief of housing at Fort Meade from 1968 to 1986, when he retired a second time.

He was a longtime Red Cross volunteer and past commander of the Military Order of World Wars.

He was a winemaker (Rieslings and dandelion wines), collected antique model railroad equipment and built a large model railroad layout.

Mr. Baran was born in Lansford, Pa., where he graduated from St. Ann's High School in 1941.

He was a communicant of St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church, 1283 Odenton Road, Odenton, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 8 a.m. Tuesday.

He is survived by his wife, the former Jean Linard, whom he married in 1947; a son, Steven Baran of Crofton; a daughter, Mary Bauer of Towson; five sisters, Agnes Sterusky, Sister Joselle Baranand Florence Sverchak, all of Lansford, Casey Bortnick of Coaldale, Pa., and Lori Granger of Allentown, Pa.; and a granddaughter.

Pub Date: 7/25/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.