Tyson applies for N.J. license

July 18, 1998|By NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE

TRENTON, N.J. -- Mike Tyson has applied for a license to fight in New Jersey and will face a July 29 hearing before the State Athletic Control Board to determine his fitness.

Tyson, 32, a former heavyweight champion, has not fought since the Nevada State Athletic Commission revoked his boxing license last year and fined him $3 million for biting Evander Holyfield's ears in a Las Vegas title fight.

Since Tyson's license was revoked, other states have voluntarily abided by Nevada's action. But Anthony Fusco Jr., Tyson's lawyer, said no law compels the states to follow Nevada's lead on a revocation.

Roger Shatzkin, a spokesman for Attorney General Peter Verniero, who recommended the hearing, said, "We aren't sure there is any voluntary agreement."

A federal law calls upon states to recognize another state's suspension except under certain conditions. "In the spirit of the law, states should follow the revocation," said Marc Ratner, executive director of the Nevada commission. "Mike Tyson ought to take care of business here before going anywhere else."

The New Jersey board hearing will be in Trenton, with six to 10 witnesses appearing on Tyson's behalf, according to Fusco.

More than one-quarter of Tyson's 48 pro fights have been in New Jersey, but he hasn't fought in the state since Dec. 8, 1990.

Pub Date: 7/18/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.