At every summer concert you can find the terminally prepared girl who's ready for anything: rancid bathrooms, sticky seats, alien invasions.
"You always worship that girl who whips out the bag of Kleenex and hands it to you," says Jimmy Hanrahan, senior wardrobe stylist at MTV. "You can be that girl everyone loves."
She's not Einstein in a halter top. She's just experienced. Here are the lightweight concert essentials she wouldn't dare forget:
* Waterproof sunscreen. Obvious, yes. So obvious, that you may forget it. Don't, unless you want to be a rock lobster. And putting it on once in the morning isn't enough.
* Wet naps. Need a quick refresher between mosh sessions? Wipe off the grime with a moist towelette.
* Tissue and/or toilet paper. The acrid, grungy bathrooms at outdoor rock fests are notorious for running out of toilet paper early on, so take your own.
* Anti-bacterial spray. Germs, germs, germs abound at summer rock concerts. You don't know who touched that faucet handle or sat on your stadium seat and what disease they may have had.
* Deodorant. True, there's only so much it can do, but it's worth a few re-applications throughout the day.
* Insect repellent. Fend off the little bloodsuckers with insect repellent. Bug bites are not chic.
* Water, water, water. Sure you'll have to buy $5 bottles of it since you're not allowed to take anything in yourself. But you need to keep hydrated, and you can always refill the bottle at the drinking fountain.
Pub Date: 7/16/98