Baltimore pair charged in robbery-shooting Police shoot one suspect, find another in basement

July 15, 1998|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,SUN STAFF

One of two men suspected of shooting a man during a robbery in East Baltimore Monday night was arrested early yesterday after heavily armed tactical officers swarmed a vacant rowhouse and found him hiding in a basement.

A second suspect was shot in the back Monday night during one of two simultaneous foot chases by police on streets north of the state prison complex.

The incident began about 8: 30 p.m. Monday when Alvin Holmes, 43, was robbed of money and shot in the leg in the 1100 block of Forrest St. A witness notified three officers, who sped in their vehicle to the scene from a block away and confronted two armed suspects.

One of the men ran across the street and headed south. The other ran east on East Preston Street. Off-duty Detective Dino Gregory, 39, ran east on Preston Street and said he saw the man pull a .22-caliber revolver from his pants.

"When the officer saw this, he fired on the suspect," said Agent Angelique Cook-Hayes, police spokeswoman. Gregory missed his target.

But Eastern District Officer Gahiji Tshamba, 24, who was chasing the other suspect about a half-block away, heard his colleague's gunshot.

"Fearing the suspect was firing at him, the officer fired at the suspect, who dropped to the ground," Cook-Hayes said.

Warren Jackson, 31, of the 500 block of Orchard St., was hit once in the lower right back and was in serious condition yesterday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Police said Jackson was armed with a silver-colored semiautomatic handgun and was still clutching the weapon in his right hand as he lay wounded on the ground.

Meanwhile, Gregory continued to chase the other suspect, who ran into a vacant rowhouse in the 600 block of E. Biddle St. Police entered the house and arrested the man about 1 a.m.

He was identified as Wilbert Burns, 37, of the 2400 block of E. Jefferson St. Burns and Jackson were each charged with assault by pointing, assault by shooting, robbery and handgun violations.

The officers who fired their weapons were placed on administrative duties pending the outcome of an investigation, which is conducted by the homicide unit.

The robbery victim, Holmes, was released from Johns Hopkins Hospital yesterday.

Pub Date: 7/15/98

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.